PDA

View Full Version : Xeloda and Herceptin Potentially Antagonistic

Paul
04-08-2004, 07:27 AM
Chandi,

After reading my post to you, I noticed that I mentioned that the addition of Herceptin to Xeloda would be additive. Accordingly, I went back into my materials and recalled that I had a list of drugs (supposedly based upon comments made by Dr. Dennis Slamon (UCLA), whose research lead to the discovery of Herceptin) that were profoundly synergistic, synergistic, additive and antagonistic with Herceptin. The cross-link below will take you to the list.

As you can see from the list, Xeloda is considered antagonistic with Herceptin. Accordingly, based upon Slamon's comments, if you go on Herceptin you should strongly consider drug combinations that do not involve Xeloda.

My concern, however, is that you appear stable on Xeloda. I guess the issue here is what drug will provide you the most benefit, herceptin or Xeloda? If a FISH test was performed and you were clearly HER-2 +3, it seems that Herceptin would clearly be beneficial.

This is a serious matter that you should discuss with your doctor, and if required, you should feel free to have your doctor contact UCLA and obtain guidance.