PDA

View Full Version : HER2 Status checked on 9 years old block(To Lolly & Paul)

Chandi
04-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Hi !

I got the test report of my original tumor which was in the storage for 9 years.
Report read as " Immunoperoxidase stain performed on two paraffin embedded, fomalin fixed tissue show variable staining Her-2/neu, with 2+ to 3+ staining"
When asked for the FISH, the doctor told me that it was sufficient enough to receive herceptin.

I am suspected of having liver & lung met since last July (2003), two tiny nodules in the liver & no biopsy was performed.

I stopped Tamoxifen & started Xeloda from Dec 03. I also started taking Femara from March 04.
The recent scan shows no significant changes in the tumor size in the liver.
Oncologist told me that the situation is stable and would continue Xeloda full cycles.
I am thinking now about Herceptin with another chemo drug and I will talk to the oncologist in my next visit.
Your comments please
Chandi

Steph N.
04-08-2004, 03:34 AM
Hi Chandi -
That is amazing that all this time the information on your Her2 was available! Now I am wondering WHY you were taking Tamoxifin. Your report says nothing about homone positive unless that is not the complete information.
I also can't understand why your med onc does not switch you to Herceptin which could just melt away those mets if it is a Her2 plus problem.
All the best for your appointment!
AND - the best part about Herceptin is virtually no side effects. How do you do on the Zeloda?

Lolly
04-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi Chandi,
I think Steph and Paul have covered all the bases! If you can print out all the information contained in the links Paul has provided, to take to your onc, it will help in making sure nothing is overlooked during the discussion. Steph raises a good point, why on Tamoxifin?
Keep up the good work, you're doing great!
Hugs, Lolly