PDA

View Full Version : Mastitis

Paula P.
04-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Does anyone know what causes mastitis four years from original lumpectomy? I'm taking antibiotics for the infection, but there is also a lump that they are going to biopsy. This has been very confusing to me because when I read about it in Dr. Love's breast book, it relates more to nursing mothers. Would appreciate your comments on this one. I'm scared of the results of the biopsy, but the pain from the infection is horrible. Just want to make sure I'm asking for what needs to be done. THanks for your help.

Merridith
04-07-2004, 01:12 PM
I had problems with mastitis in the breast that was eventually found to have cancer and removed. I have never had children. I beleive that there is sometimes a connection and is considered an early warning sign. But not necessarily so. It could also be a clogged duct from your surgery that is flairing up now.

I found that applying damp heat helped resolve the mastitis more quickly.

I think you are doing what needs to be done right now. Let us know how it turns out.

Take care, Merridith

Sandy
04-07-2004, 11:38 PM
That is how my inflammatory breast cancer started out and I learned on the internet that if one is not a nursing mother it probably is IBC! I was given antibotics and then hospitalized for 3 days from the infection. I wish you all the best. Have you had a mastectomy? I had a double, the second one was my choice, because my recurrance risk was at near 100% and usually it goes to the other breast. So far so good for me. Hugs and prayers, Sandy

Paula
04-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Hi,Sandy!
I'm so confused -- went for a mammogram and sonogram today. Radiologist said there is no sign of a tumor. When I asked him that inflammatory bc doesn't present with a tumor because it is in the lymphatic vessels, he stopped the sonogram and just repeated, "that's all no sign of a tumor" and walked out of the room. My surgeon left today for a week's vacation, and I am sitting here worrying that I'm not getting any help. I'm on a five-day treatment of antibiotics, but the breast feels heavy and swollen (only had three doses with two more to go). Everything I have read on the internet leads me to believe it's inflammatory bc and not mastitis. I just have this gut feeling that maybe I should call my oncologist since my surgeon will be out of town for a week. What were your symptoms and how was it diagnosed? I'd appreciate your input, too. Thanks for listening. Paula

Paula
04-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Hi, Meredith!
See my note to Sandy -- I'm so scared that this is more than mastitis and because my surgeon is going to be gone I don't know what to do. Would you also mind telling me what symptoms you had? I've had two children (now 27 and 29), but since my original diagnosis in 2000, I've never had anything like this. Thanks for being there. Paula