PDA

View Full Version : need encouragement

kathy
04-07-2004, 11:53 PM
Good Morning Ladies,
I've been on several chemo's and Gemcidibine is the last protocol for me. I have mets to liver, bones, and lungs. Herceptin hasn't worked for me. My last scan which was 2 weeks ago showed considerable improvement and we were estatic. I have now developed swelling in my legs, thighs, and abdomen? My doctor is baffled by this and said I shouldn't have these symptoms. She now thinks there's a possibility that my disease has progressed even though they took another CT scan a few days ago and compared it to my scan 2 weeks ago and said everything was the same. I feel like I was hit over the head with a 2 x 4. Has anyone else had any symptoms like these and it wasn't the cancer. I really need some encouragement now.
Thanks.
kathy

shelley
04-08-2004, 03:40 AM
Kathy,

All I can do is send some hugs your way, but I am thinking of you and hoping everything will be okay.

Shelley

Steph N.
04-08-2004, 04:24 AM
Hi -
Not familiar with these symptoms except while on heavy chemo for an extended period fo time. But it was not sudden and not more than what my med onc would expect. And went away after stopping the chemo.
It looks like you have some edema coming from some source. Could you have a clot or something like that? I am not a nurse, but you could have circulatory or blood pressure problems.
We survivors are also at greater risk for other problems and cancers. Have EVERY possibility looked into, even if you have go someplace else for a second opinion.
Keep us posted, as we want and need to know about unusual symptoms and how they are pinpointed and resolved.
Please keep the Faith and let us in on the developments.

Lolly
04-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Kathy,
Have you double-checked the side effects of any other medications you're currently taking? I had problems with my lymphedema worsening and my abdomen swelling up, and it was the Fosamex I had recently started for osteopenia.
The other possibility that springs to mind conjestive heart trouble, which has edema of the ankles & abdomen as a signal.
Keep us posted, and sincerely hope you get to the bottom of this soon.
Hugs, Lolly

eleanor
04-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Another thing about meds. Are you on any steroids?
Long term use will cause edema and it will send a concentration of fluid and fat to your abdomen area. I had to be taken off herceptin for awhile (also can cause edema near heart/lungs) because of severe edema.
Let's hope there's a reasonable explaination and it can be fixed.
el