PDA

View Full Version : need a quick lesson on gamma versus cyberknife

rose
04-19-2004, 01:31 PM
It looks like I too can count myself amongst the lucky ones with brain mets now. I have 2 small lesions in the cerebellum.

Can someone give me the crash course on the difference between gamma knife versus cyberknife? How long after do you have to take decadron? Do you have to stay in the hospital? Is it painful? Headaches? Risky?

Thanks for any info.

What about this new stuff called RSR something that boosts the effect of radiation?

pattyz
04-19-2004, 11:12 PM
RSR13 is still waiting for approval I believe. Even tho' "fast tracked" it is a slow process. This has so far only been trialed in combination with Whole Brain Radiation..WBR. Very promising for that procedure as the RSR13 nearly doubles the response rate and length of response of WBR.

Gamma Knife uses a screwed on headframe, four places. Sometimes called 'pins'. Getting it placed is not fun. It is a day procedure.

CyberKnife omits the headframe, using a form fitted plastic mesh face mask which is then tightened down to the table you are on during the procedure. It takes from 30 to 90 minutes.

Decadron is given differently by different docs it seems, and is dependent on your symptoms and number of brain mets treated I think. In any case, the length of time would probably not exceed a week on a low dose.

You can have pressure, some headache, some hair loss...and potential for other side effects. However in my experience ( three Gamma Knife type called SRS and two CyberKnife procedures for a total of five) these are the only side effects that I have noticed. Maybe some fatigue, but that is up to speculation considering my other health issues.

I highly recommend the CyberKnife if you can get it.

pattyz

Patty D
04-19-2004, 11:19 PM
I just saw the radiation Dr at our local hosptial which is one of few in the country to do the cyberknife. My onc recommended it over the gamma- Like Patty Z said- it is more comfortable and according to everything I have heard and read far more precise in accuracy etc. The mask is no fun nor is lying flat and still for awhile but if it works-it is worth the short discmoft- I have not had gamma knife . Good luck and God Bless.

rose
04-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Patty,
THank you so much for your response. It is most helpful. May I ask what part of the country you are in and where you had your cyberknife? Are both procedures done by a neurosurgeon? Is the only difference between the two, the way you are immobilized or is there some difference in the way the radiation is given?

I appreciate your help. One last question, how do you manage to stay calm in the face of such scary stuff?