PDA

View Full Version : Pray that I am HLA-A2 for vaccine trial

Steph N.
04-14-2004, 10:16 AM
Just wanted you all to know that I am going through the last step to qualify for the HER-2 vaccine trial (University of Washington in Seattle) for those of us maintained on Herceptin. I had the blood test for the component mentioned in the title and won't know for a few days whether I have the necessary HLA factor.
My med onc also gave me the news that regarding the last trial I participated in (for hard-to-treat mets) I am still the farthest out and setting the pace for survival without disease progression. He is looking forward to my 2-year "birthday" in 3 months! He beamed when he said that!
But, I don't mind continuing to be a lab rat as it has done me good so far! Just adding more weapons to my arsenol to fight with.

Sheila
04-14-2004, 10:40 AM
Steph
Heres hoping you get in and it will be very successful...we need all the help we can get.
Hugs
Sheila

LOLAM
04-15-2004, 03:18 AM
I am requesting the forms for this trial as well. I have not been tested yet either. Waiting to see how it transpires. Hope you get in! Hugs, Lola

Lolly
04-15-2004, 08:15 AM
Steph,
I'll certainly be praying you get in the trial, it's really great to be cheering on some of our very own! Keep us posted!!
Hugs, Lolly

Kitty
04-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Steph,

How very excited you must be about setting the pace for survivorship. I am still in treatment for recurrance but would love to have the opportunity to participate in this trial (there will be others). I love your attitude about being a guinea pig...we literally owe our lives to those who volunteered before us and it is awesome to be able to give back and help speed up the process for new therapies and ultimately a cure. I am praying your test results turn out favorably for you. I am rooting for you and everyone else in the trial. Keep us posted.

Hugs,

Kitty

Kim in CA.
04-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Hi Steph,

I too am trying to get into the trial. I am HLA-A2 pos, and now we have to get my original tumor tissue tested using the FISH method. My original pathology report(1997) said I was strongly pos. for Her2, but I guess it wasn't the FISH test. All I know is that I wouldn't still be here if not for Herceptin. I will pray for you to be HLA-A2+ too. I sure wish I lived as close to the University as you do, I will be flying in from Northern CA. and flying isn't my favorite thing!

Please keep us posted!

Kitty
04-19-2004, 01:58 AM
Kim,

I hope it works out for you to enter this trial...I agree Herceptin has been wonderful for us. Good luck to you.

Kitty

Steph N.
04-19-2004, 03:45 AM
From the wild California coast north of San Fran.
Taking a few days break and keeping positive for my results.
I will keep in touch with you and hope we can get together when you come up to the U of W. (Being very sure that the FISH results will be waht is desired.
How long have you been on Herceptin??

jeanne
04-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Hey I live in Seattle and I had herceptin for one year. I am stage 2 (B) What the other factors that I have to have to be in the study at the U of W and do you have a contact number?

Kim in CA.
04-21-2004, 12:01 PM
Still waiting on the FISH results, but I would think I would have to be at least a 2+ , cause the Herceptin has really worked well for me. I've been on it for 21/2 years now.
By the way, My onc. said that HLA-A2+ is the most common type, so I bet you will be too!