PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin - How long does it work?

Kay in New York
05-04-2004, 10:58 AM
I have mets to the lung diagnosed in October, 2003. Thankfully taxotere and herceptin knocked them back. I am currently on herceptin and femara (also zometa for bone mets) and they seem to be working well. I have heard that femara usually works for about a year. Does anyone know if when the femara stops working and I switch to either another hormone or chemo, do they continue the herceptin or since there is disease progression do they also stop the herceptin? Just wondering if herceptin could be used with another drug once there is disease progression with the first drug. I'm so thankful that herceptin is available!!!! So far, it has been like a wonder drug for me.

jessica
05-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Hi~
I was dx'd w/liver mets @primary dx in May'02.The first chemo combo I tried was Navelbine+Herceptin , but I had disease progression.So we switched to a clinical trial for ~6mos, but eventually moved on to Herceptin +Taxol.Herceptin+Taxol turned out to be the magic for me & I've been NED for almost 8 mos.
So in my case, yes, even though I had disease prgression on one Herceptin/chemo combo, we tried a 2nd combo and I had a fabulous response.
I guess the different combos are so different together, and so different in every individual, you just have to be willing to try.I was skeptical that Taxol/Herceptin would be effective, especially since Navelbine/Herceptin was not, but I was wrong.Thank God!
Hope this info is helpful.

Lolly
05-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Hi Kay,
I started Herceptin/Navelbine in Jan. 2001 for metastisis to skin and lymph nodes; 6 months later was NED and have remained on maintenance Herceptin since then. However, today we added Navelbine again after a PET scan confirmed 2nd recurrence to lymph nodes, and I'll be watched closely to monitor the effectivness. My onc thinks the combo will work together well, but if not will move me onto a different chemo, but still in combination with Herceptin. As Jessica points out, Herceptin is known to be effective in combination with several different chemos, and can be used in sequence with each different one.
Love, Lolly

Steph N
05-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Herceptin works differently on a microscopic level than the chemo drugs. Those chemos interrupt the cell division at different stages, the Herceptin locks on to the outside of the cell and attempts to keep it from dividing. With different substances working inside as well as outside the cancer cells, we have a better chance of killing the little deamons.
Hopefully the Herceptin can do its job as long as you need it to. I have been maintained on Herceptin and Zometa for 22 months now and feel pretty darn good!

Eleanor
05-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Hi,
I have been on herceptin off and on for 2 years and have had clean scans for the past year.
It can be used alone for maintenance or in combo form with chemo. There are so many ways to combine it that it's just a matter of finding the right one for you.
el

dee
05-06-2004, 01:42 AM
This message to Lolly:
I just read about your new bout with active cancer - having read your contributions over time, I feel like I know you - a bit. Therefore, I take it personally when I hear about your newly revised health status. I am very saddened by this turn of events for you! I don't often post, but I always read, and I admire you lots. You're on my prayer list, hang in there.

Rhonda
05-07-2004, 12:36 PM
I have liver mets and I have been on herceptin and taxote since August 2000. I had a break from Jan. - August 2001 and have been on this combo since. My tumors have not gone away however they have been stable. Tumor markers were within the normal range in March. Herceptin and taxotere have been a wonderful gift that my family and I have been grateful for. I have just discovered this site and am so excited to have located a group of folks who are experiencing similar challenges!!! I'm sure that I will be checking in from time to time to interact with you all. Blessings to all
:-}