PDA

View Full Version : Brain MRI\'s

KaTHIE
05-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Hi Girls,
Hope everyone had a great mother's day with their family's. We went to the race for the cure in Phila. What a wonderful job they did again this year. This is my 7th year YEA, I'm still here and going strong. Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about getting periodic brain scans? Yesterday I had some weierd vision blurring out
on the perfial vision, this lasted about 1/2 hour. Any thoughts????

Lolly
05-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Kathie,
Wow, 7 years! That's cause for celebration! What a great way to celebrate, by participating in the "Race"!
There's been a lot of discussion on this board recently about the need for periodic brain MRI's for Her2+ survivors, and especially since we've had several members with NO symptoms go in for routine scans only to discover brain mets. This news goaded quite a few of us into asking for brain MRI's, and I've resolved to ask for one as part of my annual scan's from now on.
With that said, I think we all know that any unusual visual disturbances or anything out of the ordinary regarding your sensory perceptions, and of course headaches, in a cancer survivor should definitely be brought to your doctor's attention.
It's just part of what we have to do to stay strong and well.
Love, Lolly

Lisa
05-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Symptoms of brain mets frequently are visual changes. For your body and your peace of mind, why not get tested soon? While we tend to think that headaches might be the main symptom, another symptom has come to the attention of some of us lately. That symptom: nothing at all. Yes, sadly several of us have discovered brain mets through scans with absolutely NO symptoms. 25-30% of all Stage IV survivors will eventually have brain mets. And that number might be creeping upward thanks to the increased longevity we are seeing. I guess that's the good news/bad news all mixed together.

Love and light,

Lisa

Eleanor
05-10-2004, 11:25 PM
How wonderful to hear how well you are doing - it's always good to hear from women who have been around for a long time. It gives hope.
I'm with the others on annual MRIs. I have been getting them every year without fail. So far, so good.
el

Kathie in NJ
05-10-2004, 11:34 PM
Kathie,

I had a blurring of my perephreal (sp?) vision and it turned out to be my blood pressure was real high. I would still mention it to your ONc.however, just to be safe. Good Luck
Kathie

Steph N
05-11-2004, 04:33 AM
Hello -
Glad you are so strong and doing well! But we must keep in mind that our disease is VERY sneaky and can take a number of forms. To keep on top of this disease we must be vigilant with ourselves. As the others have stated, it is necessary to check out any symptoms that even have a REMOTE possibility of being advancing disease.
Do yourself a favor and check it out ASAP, and then breathe easier as it will be out of your hands and hopefully the news will be good.

rose
05-11-2004, 05:37 AM
I was having some weird visual things that were vrey brief and went away quickly. I asked for a brain scan and we found 3 brain mets, very small, that had nothing to do with the weird visual things. So I would vote for an MRI!

cathy b
05-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Could you describe your "wierd visual things".
Thanks much.

cathy b
05-11-2004, 10:18 AM
wierd visual things message is for Rose. Sorry, I forgot to address to you. Thanks.