PDA

View Full Version : Physical fitness for Hercptine

Helle
05-11-2004, 05:31 PM
Dear Jay.

Here is my information’s I hope it will help you. I live in Denmark. The first time I was treated with Herceptine it is more than 4 years ago, I took loading dose 4mg/Kg only once. After that Herceptine every 3 week.

I also had to have my lung fluid drained out, normally 2,5 liter every 3 week. But I stopped right after start of Herceptine. After about 2 years the fluid started again and I was treated with other drugs. Right now I am treated with Herceptine for the 3 time. Lately I had to have my lung drained again for about 8 times, witch can be very painful and I was feeling very sigh. But luckily, right after starting Herceptine again, ( I had my 3 round last week) the fluid has now stopped for the last 8 weeks and I fell very well again.

My treatment has been Herceptine alone and in combination with Navelbine, and my next step is Herceptine in combination with Gemzar.

I would start Herceptine and Zeloda right away, because I do not have many side effects on Herceptine and when I did the Zeloda. Every time I start Herceptine I just are getting better and feeling better.

I hope the best for you and your wife.
Best of luck
Helle

Eleanor
05-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Dear Jay,
I have had lung problems that have sent me to the hospital on more than one occasion and each time I was taken off herceptin for a few weeks to recover. Talk to her dr to get the best information. But one week probably won't make a difference one way or the other if he decides to wait for your wife to get stronger.
el

Jay
05-12-2004, 04:08 AM
Hi Deal All,

My wife, Chandi, who somtimes posts on this board has suddenly fallen sick on last Wednesday and is still in ICU recovering.
She is suspected of having an infection from the disease progression. She had her lung fluid drained out, about 750 ml, from one side and developed a severe cough after the drain.
She is in stable condition now, heart beat pressure are all normal, but physically is very weak.
She has two small lesions in the liver and two in the lungs and also some suspected nodules in the neck.
The oncologist is planning to treat her with Herceptine + Xeloda.
Is it the right time to go for Hercptine or should we give her a time to gain her strength, but then disease progression ?
If we are to give her Hercptine, what could be the dosage like ? According to Chirstine the loading dose may be 4mg/Kg, How many cycles should we go at 4mg/kg rate ? Is it weekly or 3 weekly ?

Any input that you may feel help us please.

Best regards,

Jay

Steph N
05-12-2004, 04:20 AM
So sorry to learn about Chandi's present condition. But with a little time she will be much better.
I have not had Zeloda, as the Navelbine and Taxol worked with the Herceptin for my liver mets.
About the Herceptin dose. I got it each week while in the chemos, but changed to every 3 weeks after the drugs had done their job and killed all the tumors.
From what I gather from the experiences reported on this board and other studies, the weekly dose is easier to tolerate when one is weakened or on combination drugs. The loading dose for each is different, meaning that loading for one week is a smaller amount than for 3 weeks. (I had to have a NEW loading dose when switching to the three week interval.)
Also the Herceptin does not kill other cells - only targets the cancer, so is not normally debilitating as the chemos.
Hope this gives you some info you were looking for.

Elisabeth
05-12-2004, 10:54 AM
This must be a frightening time for both of you. It was Chandi who told me about this website. As to the herceptin, 4mg/kg is a loading dose and only happens in the beginning. Herceptin can be given weekly or 3 weekly whatever works best with any complimentary chemo. I was on herceptin 3 weekly alone, then went to weekly when I was given weekly taxotere for lung mets. Each time you change the regime or more than the allotted time passes (1 wk or 3 wks) you need a new loading dose. As to when to start this- I don't think a week delay would make much difference. If you have good faith in your onc, trust their advice.
Blessings, Elisabeth

Allie
05-12-2004, 11:55 PM
Jay,
I would say that starting the Herceptin would be fine. It doesn't seem to have the same side effects as other chemo drugs do i.e. feeling sick or making you tired. Trust your Onco and listen to the advice these other women have given...they are all great ladies!!!
Best to you!
Allie