PDA

View Full Version : Xeloda side effects

Sherry in WV
05-12-2004, 12:27 AM
I have been on Xeloda for 2 weeks, am now on week off. I had a terrible time....stomach pain, abdomenial pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, unable to eat and foot reddness and pain. Any tips out there? The ONC told me this drug would be easier than the IV taxotere I was on first time, but I am beginning to wonder.
Someone posted a while back about some sort of shoes for the foot syndrom...I will need this before we travel
Thank you all...
Love n Peace,
Sherry in WV

Sue C
05-12-2004, 01:05 AM
I've been on Xeloda for 2 cycles now. I have some foot and hand problem but I didn't face much stomach problem like you. I eat a lot of breakfast and dinner and then take the Xeloda right as soon as I put the fork down. When I don't have much food in the stomach, i think that's when i get into trouble. cramps and nausea. I hope you feel better soon.

Patty H
05-12-2004, 03:28 AM
I am just finishing my second round of xeloda. I didn't have much side effects the first round, but I am just starting to have foot and hand problems. From what I read you need to call your Dr. if you have a lot of side effects and he will probably take you off long enough to clear up and then lower your dose. My husband wanted me to call over the foot problem but I only have 3 more days left of this cycle and then I will have a scan and I don't want this drug out. I also have to make sure I have plenty in my stomach before I take them. Also I sometimes drink a coke afterwrds. I'd like to hear from others on xeloda, as to how they handle the foot problem. Patty H

Sandy
05-12-2004, 04:04 AM
I was on xeloda for 6 weeks. I made sure I ate plenty of food when I took it. No problems with stomach etc. My hands and feet got red on the bottom and the doctor said that was the right dose for me. Its suppose to be based on weight but the doctor said according to my weight it would be too much so he cut the dose down. My problem started when I stopped taking it!! My feet got very sore and sensitive my toes had blisters on them and I had to wear very soft thick custioned slippers. Then, it was painful to walk. I wore the acorn slipper socks as it was cold here at the time and couldn't wear my boots. This lasted a good month also the skin peeled around the nails beds. Really nasty stuff. I couldn't imagine taking it any longer. Maybe, that is why it did not work for me the dose wasn't high enough and didn't take it long enough. I wish you all luck with this. Hugs, Sandy

Shelley
05-12-2004, 04:31 AM
Hi Sherry,

I am on my second week of xeloda and I am having similar side effects to you. I get stomach pains, backaches, mild nausea, and am just starting to get tingling fingertips. Feet are okay right now. I sure hope this stuff works because I felt so good before I had a recurrence and was looking forward to feeling good again.

Shelley

Velva
05-12-2004, 09:32 AM
I have been on Xeloda since mid-Feb. 2004. I get some redness on soles of feet at end of 2nd week, then it improves on the week off. I had a little stomach discomfort initially and took antacid - Prilosec, and that took care of it.
If you are taking a multiple vitamin make sure it does not have folic acid in it, because it interacts with Xeloda adversely according to the pharmacy info I received. Also, if you take Coumadin/Warfarin blood thinner Xeloda can intensify it, so your clottting time has to be monitered closely.
I've found it a fairly easy chemo drug, some hair thinning and increased fatigue esp. the 2nd week.
If side effects are too severe, talk to your onc about lowering the dose. Best to you, Velva

Kathie in New Jersey
05-13-2004, 02:42 AM
I have been on Xeloda for 5 rounds now and have experienced something different each round. I've gone from Diarhea to constipation. Pains in stomach to pains down my back. So far, no problems with hands and feet but do feel tired at times. I don't know if it is working yet, will know in a couple of weeks via scans. I just hope I get off of it soon because it is so #$%# expensive. It costs $1300.00 and I have to pay $266.00 every month.

Kathie

Sherry in W V
05-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I ended up in hospital from the Xeloda. I dehydrated and passed out. I see Onc on Monday to decide what to do.....It is bad enough finding out that your cancer is growing again and multipying, but then having something knock you about....
Thanks for all the tips.'
Love n Peace,
Sherry in WV