PDA

View Full Version : alergic to herceprin

Lynn
05-12-2004, 05:56 AM
Less than 5 minutes into my treatment with herceptin I had a severe alergic reaction. Right now the taxol is having positive effects so we are holding off on the herc.
The onocologist wants to put me in the hosp. work with an alergist and "desysitize" me to the herc. treatment.
After almost dying the first time this scares me to death, but I also want to do what gives me the best chance for long term survival.
Anyone had a similar situation or have any thoughts?
Lynn

Colleen
05-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Lynn,
Four weeks ago my mother had a very bad allergic reaction to her loading dose of herceptin. Her blood pressure dropped,she was very short of breath and had flu like symptoms.She had to spend the night in the hospital.She has since had 3 more treatments. They just loaded her up on steroids and antihistamine the night before and gave her the treatment very slow. She had no problems. On these last 2 she skipped the stuff the night before and was just given the pretx at the office right before. She is doing fine. I know she desperatly needs Herceptin. She is HER2+++,so I was very upset thinking she could not take it. I think you will great once your body gets used to it. Hang in there. BTW,my Mom is almost 79,so if she can tolerate it anybody can.Let us know how you make out.

Elisabeth
05-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Was this your first dose of herceptin? IF so as I said to Colleen in regards to her mom, it is very rare to react a second time. I reacted with severe shakes (rigors) and a fever. They immediately gave me benadryl and then resumed the drip an hour later very slowly. The next treatment, I received benadryl IV prior to my herceptin, a slower infusion and all has been well since. I still get benadryl and my infusion rate is normal. I hope that is helpful.
Elisabeth

Lisa
05-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Sounds too familiar. About 45 mins. into my loading dose last Sept., I went into rigors, my blood pressure became erratic, as did my oxygen levels. I was sent to the ER, then ICU, where my body started "shutting down." My blood refused to clot, my bp plummeted, I was give multiple blood transfusions, vit. K shots and given a 50/50 chance of living. I was in ICU for 3 days when everything started working again. Several days later, now in the hospital's cancer wing, I was given my second infusion of Herceptin with an hours-long drip. No problem ... and I've now had it every week since, always with 50 mg. of Benedryl and 2 Tylenol beforehand (recently lowered to 25 mg.). I guess my onc. believed that Herceptin was my best shot at surviving. I believe that, too. I DID have a small amount of fluid on the lungs which might have played a role, but I don't know. At any rate, I'm grateful to be here.

Love and healing light,

Lisa

celina
05-17-2004, 07:51 AM
Oh my gosh!!
Just got back from visiting my sister in the hospital. She has herceptin for the first time on Thursday and almost died...she just about went into cardiac arrest. They attempted it again today...am waiting to see how things went..they were do begin it in very small doses and increase as it becomes evident that her body isn't rejecting it. Dr. said that although it was a terrible reaction, it indicates that this is actually a good drug for her. She, too, is having Taxol. I'll let you know how it goes.
Celina

JoAnne palkevich
01-07-2005, 07:29 AM
after almost 5 years on herceptin I had an allergic reaction ( began itching then vomiting and shaking). None of the doctors had ever seen this. I'M GLAD TO READ THAT OTHERS HAVE HAD IT AND SURVIVED SUBSEQUENT TREATMENTS! Dr. wants to premedicate me and run infusin more slowly - are there any upates on how the treatments have gone for those of you have had similar reactions? After many CT scans I developed an allergy to the contrast material also and had a very severe reaction even after pre-medication so i am quite worried about this but also hate to stop herceptin which has obviously helped me survive 4 recurrences.
Thanks to anyone who replies.