PDA

View Full Version : Question about Port use and Coumadin

Linda in Ithaca
05-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Could anyone share their experiences with Coumadin and port usage? After nearly three years of chemo without a port, the Gemzar/Herceptin combo I am currently on (for nearly a year)have left most of my veins unusable, so my onc--after great reluctance--finally let me have a port. He also believes that for safety's sake, I should be on Coumadin to prevent problems from blood clots. I'm a little confused, since many times --before the port-- my platelets were low. Is the Coumadin really that standard, or is this a precaution I need since my good arm has so few usable veins left?

Lolly
05-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Linda,
I'm on my third port. My first port, put in in 2001 when I started Herceptin/Navelbine, lasted over 2 years, then I experienced a catheter fracture which is a very serious complication. No one was able to say for sure what caused the fracture, but the possibility of a clot was raised, and my onc said if I wanted to take an aspirin daily to help prevent a clot, he'd prefer that to starting me on Coumadin because of the possible side effects from it.
I was told this was an extremely rare complication. Many of the people at my cancer center have ports, and none that I know of are on Coumadin.
Hope this is helpful.
Love, Lolly

Lisa
05-19-2004, 01:30 PM
Well, then there's me. I am on Coumadin, but I didn't want to take 1 a day. My onc and I compromised on 1/2 a day. Vit. E (in a multi), CoQ10 and Ginseng are also blood thinners, so if you take any of these, make sure your doctor knows. O.K., Lolly, give it up...what are the complications??

(My first port in 2000 did not require Coumadin. Apparently, this is a new "standard.")
Love and light,
Lisa

Peggy
05-19-2004, 09:23 PM
I am on my 2nd port. I requested the 1st one be removed after my original diagnosis and treatment. I figured I wouldn't need it anymore. The mets showed up in my left lung just a few months after taking out port #1. So I had port #2 placed and it's the only way to go. I have had no trouble with either port. My onc has had me take 1 mg of coumadin (warfarin) everyday while I'm on chemo - for about the last 2 years straight. I don't believe I've had any negative side effects from this. Sometimes, when you're on so many drugs, it's hard to tell what chemical is causing what side effect. Hope this helps.

Peggy in Florida

Lisa
05-20-2004, 12:31 AM
I thought the question was about whether or not to use Coumadin, not whether or not to have a port. I can't IMAGINE not having a port. Makes life much easier.

Love and light,

Lisa

Elisabeth
05-20-2004, 10:27 AM
I have had a port since September and I am not on coumadin. Occasionally it will flush but not allow blood back and all they do in inject an enzyme that dissolves any sheath that may build up around it and all is well again.