PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain after chemo...FINALLY some answers!!

jessica
05-20-2004, 07:06 AM
Just got back from my weekly Herceptin tx & after months & months of asking my doc, nurses, & anyone willing to listen, why I continue to steadily gain weight since finishing chemo-12 lbs in 8 mos.I just wanted to scream when my doc would say "Are you eating more?" or "Are you exercising enough?"
I FINALLY got an answer!It was like a REVELATION and I had to share the info! HYPOTHYROIDISM!!Specifically a condition called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.There's some info on SusanLove's website.Another site listed symptoms that I aswered yes,yes,yes,yes,yes to so many of the symptoms.
Like "You feel tired, exhausted, and like you can't get enough sleep, or want to take daytime naps"-I thought that was just low rbc's
"You feel cold when others do not, particularly in hands and feet"- I always said cold hands, warm heart...
"You've gained weight inappropriately, or you are finding it difficult to lose weight, despite proper diet and exercise"- YESYESYESYESYES!!!
"Your nails are breaking and splitting and become brittle"-another topic I've seen discussed here
"You have muscle and joint pains and aches...
or tendonitis in arms and legs"-thought it was just Herceptin.
"You have a heavier than normal menstrual period, or your period is longer than it used to be, or comes more frequently"I was just happy to get my cycle after 49 weeks of chemo.
You find it difficult to concentrate, your memory is not as good as it should be, you feel like your thinking is "slow"-thought that was chemo-brain.
I've already scheduled an appointment w/a new doc at my onc's office who is an oncologist/internist to have a full work up.I'm told treatment is simple, a drug called Synthroid.
I knew that there had to be an answer, I just don't know why it took SO LONG & why I had to ask SO MANY nurses, docs, repeatedly, before one nurse finally said "Oh, yeah, if it's not cardiac problems, it's probably hypothyroidism.Lost of women post chemo develop hypothyroidism & are on Synthroid."
Hope this info is helpful...I'm so glad to share something that I think is going to help many many of us...Run to your doc w/this info!!
Take good care & keep the faith!
Jessica
ps-sorry I don't have a link to the website I found...just do a search for "hypothyroidism & chemotherapy".

Jackie
05-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Both my sister and I developed thyroid nodules about 11 yrs ago, and I have been on Synthroid with no difficulties. My sister's thyroid was malignant and had to be removed. She still has a difficult time getting her dosage correct and has spent a long time not feeling quite well. If you have any trouble at all, ask about the (I think this is correct) way your body utilizes the T-3 and T-4. Most people have no difficulties and you probably won't either, so no need to worry...just look forward to losing those pounds! Good luck to you!

Lori
05-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Jessica-

thanks for the post! I have gained 15 pounds and am very discouraged. Every time I asked my onc about it, he said it was the steroids they gave me during chemo. Well I've been off chemo 4 months and the pounds keep adding up! I will definitely check into the hypothyroidism thing.

Patty D
05-20-2004, 11:42 PM
I was having propblems after being dx with breast cancer in 1994- tired- weight gain - my dr ut glad they found it and treatment is easy.