PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin early stage BC

Robin Parker
06-13-2004, 04:59 AM
HI,

I have stage 1 BC that was HER2 positive. My oncologist did not recommend Herceptin for a small invasive BC as my was.

However, I was wondering if anyone could comment on the use of Herceptin for early stage disease. Do you think it is necessary? What are the cardiac risks since we know cardiac cells are damaged with Herceptin.

To my knowledge, my risk after chemo for reoccurence was like only 6% with 94% chance for cure then I wonder if the cardiac risk from Herceptin is worth it.

Thanks,
Robin

Meg
06-13-2004, 07:00 AM
Hi Robin,
I think if you are premenopause you should consider Herceptin. Do not underestimate this disease.

Anonymous
06-13-2004, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the response Meg; I never under estimate the power of cancer nor the negative impact from sides effects from certain drug treatments. I certainly do not want to have a treatment that will cost my body more than benefit it. Robin

Lolly
06-13-2004, 02:24 PM
Robin,
The jury is still out on whether Herceptin will prevent recurrence, but there are several aspects of your situation to consider.
The Her2 factor is only one piece of the puzzle, although a big one. Other factors to consider are the grade of the tumor, the "S" factor, etc. These all help indicate how agressive your particular cancer is/was and therefore the chance for recurrence.
Below is a link I copied from the index page of this site; it outlines the various characteristics to look for in your pathology report. If you don't have a copy yet, ask your surgeon's office for it, as you should have it for your personal records.
Love, Lolly

Sheila
06-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Robin
I was also stage 1 and they did not recommend Herceptin. Well I WAS in that 6% and a year and a half later Stage IV. I would highly recommend it if it is available to you...I have had a great response with Herceptin, and no side effects.
Hugs
Sheila

lauren
06-14-2004, 07:58 AM
Not to scare you, but I don't know how accurate those "statistics" are for a her2neu positive cancer. Those statistics are for breast cancer OVERALL. They do not take into account differences in the biological makeup of the tumors. It seems to me, based on everything I have read, that it is wise to include herceptin in ANY adjuvant therapy for a her2 positive breast cancer, regardless of stage. I have seen WAY TOO MANY women with her2 positive breast cancer recur after being only stage 1 with small, nonpalpable tumors. I am sorry. This is just what I have seen. I believe that herceptin would have been helpful to keep the recurrences from happening to those women.

Trish
06-15-2004, 08:53 AM
Yes, the HER2 Cancer is considered "aggressive"
My lymph nodes were clear when they found it 6 years ago. When it came back last year, it has spread to my neck and lungs.

ROBIN
06-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Hi All,

Thank you for your responses. I feel more scared and concerned after reading your them; I realize some of you stage 1 people with her+ had reoccurences.

I was diagnosed two years ago with a precancer-DCIS and only recently had my slides rechecked and found I also had invasive cancer that was Her2 neu positive and high grade..

I got only CMF not AC for chemotherapy initially and of course no Herceptin. I suppose it is not too late to get Herceptin. I will check into again with another oncologist. The other three oncologists I have seen will not give it and do not recommend it for early stage cancer.

Thanks again for your responses; I will see my oncologist in early July and I will let you know what happens.

Love,
Robin

lauren
06-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Robin,

You are two years past diagnosis?? Why are you thinking about this now?