PDA

View Full Version : hair loss hurts scalp

lu ann
06-19-2004, 02:13 AM
Is it normal for my scalp to be sore while i'm losing hair? I'm on taxol, carboplatin, and herceptin weekly (3 weeks on/1 off). I had really thick hair so it is still not noticeable to other people, but I have lost allot of hair. It started to thin the third week of treatment. Now my scalp feels sore. Is this normal?

Linda in Calif
06-19-2004, 02:51 AM
Hi Lu ann: I can't speak for others but when I lost my hair ( after about 3 or 4 weeks after first A/C) I experienced a burning sensation on my scalp. Once I had totally lost my hair I no longer had that feeling. Although now, since my hair has grown back ( it's been a year and a half since my last chemo ) every so often I get that burning sensation but no hair loss. I wonder if anyone else out there still has this happen after being off chemo for so long? Hope you feel better soon. Take Care, Linda

Bonnie
06-19-2004, 03:02 AM
I was on taxotere and carboplatin every three weeks and herceptin weekly. I completed the taxotere and carboplatin the end of April 2004. I also had really thick hair and my scalp started to hurt when my hair started to fall out. So I decided to cut it off. I may have decided to cut off my hair too soon for looks but it solved the hurting scalp and I never experienced the hair falling out in the shower.

Bonnie

Steph N
06-19-2004, 06:32 AM
Yes - over one year off chemo and hair was nicely covering my head - still had a sore scalp on occasion. We even had a "chat" about this when the chat room was up.
There is a condition called "folliculitis" that can be the culprit. Yoiu can look up the symptoms on Wed MD or the like.
Hope it gets better - my sore scalp finally did.

Merridith
06-19-2004, 02:41 PM
My hair loss hurt too!!

It especially hurt whenever my scalp was touched, such as when I rested my head against the armrest of the couch (favourite TV clicking position!).

Shaving my head solved the problem. Saves shampoo too.