PDA

View Full Version : To Continue Treatment or Not

Annamarie16
06-18-2004, 03:36 AM
The 15 days of radiation to the stomach area where the 3" lymph node was sure knocked me for a loop. The following week I ended up with a unrinary infection which meant I had to take antibiotics. And, of course, that caused me yet another round of thrush, which I just got over two weeks before.
We are to meet with the oncologist on Monday and talk about starting Gemzar. There are so many masses on my spine and so many enlarged lymph nodes that I don't know whether to continue treatment or not.
If you have been on Gemzar, could you please let me know if it was beneficial; how sick did you get; how long were you on it?
This decision is such a big one.

julie
06-18-2004, 09:10 AM
I just started gemzar combined with taxol yesterday. So I can only tell you from limited experience that it isn't too bad (gemzar) I understand it is hard on the wbc. A friend of mine did get very sick on it, but it was combined with adriamycin. I was told in Feb. that I only had 14 weeks to live from brain mets. I pursued options with another dr and I'm doing fine. The brain mets is under control, now we're attacking the stuff in my liver. I won't give up!! Try to hang in there, there's always something new around the bend. Take care,
Julie

Annamarie16
06-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Julies- thanks for your reply. You have definitely given me something to think about. Maybe I'm giving up too soon. I've lost so much weight, I look like the cript lady.

julie
06-19-2004, 12:48 AM
Hi Celina,I'm sorry to hear that your sis was given bad news. I have 5 sisters and they were sick when I was told about my limited time. But the dr was wrong, and yours may be too. They only make guesses. I was told that I had leptomenigial disease, the bc. had spread to the meneges of my brain. Only a 15% chance that I could be treated successfully. As I said, I pursued another opinion, and had a large persistant tumor removed, then had a omaya resourviour put in that I received mexotrexate and then the Ac. The "lepto" disappeared, 18 tumors went to 8 small ones and I'm feeling normal. Now I have liver mets with 2 large tumors and am receiving Gemzar/taxol for that. I plan on it working, if it doesn't there are other options to treat liver mets. Don't let one dr give your sister the death sentence. I wish you the best, I know you're going through horrible and scary emotions, but stay hopeful.
Take care,Julie

lu ann
06-19-2004, 01:21 AM
Try using acidophilus for the thrush. It adds good bacteria to the digestive system that is destroyed from treatment. I will pray for you.

lu ann
06-19-2004, 01:37 AM
It's me, lu ann again. Have you thought about going to "Cancer Treatment Centers of America" for a second opinion? I also had several cancerous lesions to my spine and also my chest. I had 22 rounds of radiation, which reduced the tumor in my chest by 30% and new bone is replacing the lesions in my spine. My CA15-3 tumor markers also went from 345 to 111. They will provide transportation and meals for you and a guest to come to their facility. All you pay for is your lodging. Their toll free number is 800.577.1255 and their web site is www.cancercenter.com. Call today.

celina
06-19-2004, 01:38 AM
Julie,
Thank you so much for your response. Every time I hear a success story it brings us further hope. My sister is not able to read small print at this time, thus can't read these posts. I always keep her informed and love to be able to bring her stories such as yours.
She, too, is treating her liver presently. The doctors are surprised and pleased that the treatment seems to be working. They are reluctant to look into further brain treatments until the liver is under control..as the doc put it, "we must weed the garden first!". I have read about mexotrexate previously...have you heard any stats on this drug? How long did you take it?
Keep up the fight, Julie. I really see a bright future for you!!

Annamarie16
06-20-2004, 04:00 AM
Is that a prescription drug?

lu ann
06-20-2004, 06:49 AM
Acidophilus is a dietary supplement you can get at a health food store. It is made up of the healthy bacteria that our digestive systmems need to keep yeast and fungus from overgrowing.