PDA

View Full Version : estrogen lurking plces.

Christine
06-21-2004, 06:35 AM
There are estrogen production from the adrenal glands as well as the ovaries . Estogen finds a home in our female fat cells eg. adipose tissue. So stopping the production from the ovaries if you are ER hormone + makes sense. There are a number of ways to do that, Lupron is oly one of many . Talk to your onc and do some exploring. There is Femara Aromasin, Arimodex, and Lupron. Search them all and then discuss it with your Onc.

lauren
06-21-2004, 08:11 AM
I get scared now and then that my body still produces estrogen...and I had my OVARIES REMOVED!!!! Pretty crazy, right? I know that the adrenal glands create estrogen out of fat cells, and I try to keep my body as lowfat as possible...through exercise, diet, even did some liposuction (my oncologist told me that the theory is actually not a bad one...;))

I am on Arimidex. But when I look at my face and DON'T see facial hair, I wonder (although I am very happy). Just today though, I noticed that my skin is bumpy and lumpy (um...cellulite...ech!!), and it occurred to me that this is probably the product of an estrogen-depleted body....loss of skin elasticity. Another sucky sign of estrogen-depletion. But it's all good, right?

Anonymous
06-22-2004, 09:53 AM
So far I have not gotten any answers from anybody. It is an option, but has anyone actually done it? It used to be an old-fashioned treatment for b.c. before the days of hormonal drugs. But aren't drugs more prone to side-effects and toxicity than not having ovaries? I would like to hear more about what you know than what you think.

lauren
06-22-2004, 11:12 PM
What I KNOW is that every single one of my doctors was all "YOU GO GIRL!!!" when I said I would remove my ovaries. They were like, "That is the BEST DECISION. Remove the estrogen at its source. Remove the chance of getting ovarian cancer too as a bonus."