PDA

View Full Version : Taxol/Gemzar/Herceptin

Kathie in New Jersey
06-26-2004, 07:49 AM
Anyone else on the cocktail? If so what are the side effects? I just got my first dose on Tuesday and have been layed up since Thursday with a 102 temperature. I've read that the Gemzar causes fevers. I have already been on Taxol and know what that can do but this really knocked me on my A double scribble.
Kathie

julie
06-26-2004, 09:27 AM
Kathie, I am on the taxol/gemzar combo and it really does knock me out for several days. I had my 2nd treatment and am feverish and tired, didn't get out of bed for 24 hrs. This is the 1st time I've run a fever with chemo, what do your drs tell you? I called and since it's the weekend I got a resident that told me to go to the hospital...I think he's a bit jumpy. Keep me posted on how you do. I know it's a good combo, but I've heard that Gemzar can be very hard to deal with, but whatever works, right?

Take care,Julie

celina
06-26-2004, 10:24 AM
Kathie, I agree with the other posts below..perhaps check in with your doc. My sister is on Herceptin/Taxol and has been in the hospital since Monday with a low-grade fever. They gave her an antibiotic, but she still has fever. They discovered redness in her throat..probably a virus which must run it's course, but they want to keep her until she's been without fever for 24 hours. Her doc. said that they don't want to take any chances. Her combo has also been very hard on her..she had a blood transfusions on Tues. which has given her much needed energy. Good luck...I'm sure you'll be feeling better soon.

Kathie in New Jersey
06-26-2004, 10:40 AM
Julie,

I never even called the Dr because I just got off of Cipro (antibiotic) and know it couldn't be an infection. Besides it states right on the Gemzar website that it causes fevers. This is the first combo that has effected me this way also. I just got off ofXeloda that did a real number on me and my body has not had time to recover. My temperature right now is 99.9, four days out from treatment and I have a cough. Did you develop a cough with your treatment?

Kathie

cathyb
06-26-2004, 02:32 PM
I am only taking Gemzar/herceptin weekly and have had no ill effects as yet after 4 treatments. Am thinking that the mix of Genzar and Taxol must extremely potent together. So far my counts have been OK as well but do have fatigue problems.

Anonymous
06-27-2004, 10:15 AM
kathi, My fever is gone, but I do have a cough, I hope is just a bit of allergy. Are you feeling better? I've also developed "hot spots", red places on my elbows and shins. I'm looking forward to my week off.
take care,Julie

Kathie in NJ
06-27-2004, 09:27 PM
My fever is dissipated but the cough continues. Everytime I start to talk I start coughing, don't know which to blame it on. When I took Taxol in the past I developed laryngitis (sp). Didn't have a voice the whole time on it, hope that won't happen again. How do you take the combo? Two weeks on and one week off? I'm to find that out tomorrow. Thanks for writing
Kathie

dede
06-29-2004, 09:07 PM
I have been on herceptin & gemzar 3 weeks on, one week with herceptin only, and I've had 2 of the 3 weeks on for the 2nd round, with my third being this friday. I have been zapped for energy, and have also had a few fevers with the gemzar. I went to the hospital, but decided it may be a virus, because my counts were OK. Was on antibiotics twice thru this mess.
After the first round, my scans were completely clear for the fist time since we found this-March of last year. We are doing 2 rounds beyond, hopefully to put me in remission forever. :-).