PDA

View Full Version : Biopsy done to confirm cancer recur?

eric
07-01-2004, 04:30 AM
My wife Caryn's CEA levels doubled which prompted a CT scan and PET. The Onc said the written report from the CT scan suggest spots in the lungs. We will get the results of the PET tomorrow but I'm curious if anything is normally done to confirm cancer and recur?

Thank you

jojo
07-01-2004, 05:25 AM
Eric, I am sorry to hear about your wife's health concerns.

I don't know about the lungs, but I had a biopsy done on my enlarged node recently, and the biopsy confirmed it was cancerous.

Keep us updated with your wife's situation. Sending best wishes to you.

Lolly
07-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Eric,
I'm sorry you and Caryn are having to go through this. I know the uncertainty is tough.
In my case, we took the PET scan as definitive, as it showed the same neck and arm nodes active as were on my first recurrence. Also, my onc and nurses said they feel the PET is very accurate. I did have one of the nodes on my neck biopsied the first time, but I have lymphedema on that side, and the surgery, even though minor, really raised hob with my arm, so I didn't want to go through that again. I do remember reading several posts on this site some time ago, discussing lung mets being biopsied. Hopefully these ladies will reply.
Keep us posted on the results tomorrow.

Monica
07-02-2004, 04:00 AM
I was diagnosed with breast cancer in December with 2 lymph node involvement. I had routine scans done for entry into a trial, and the cat scan saw something suspicious on my lung. The pet scan indicated malignancy. However, my oncologist found it hard to believe my cancer could have spread so soon. I underwent lung surgery, and they found a tumor but it was benign. I had a choice between a biopsy or removal, and I went for removal because biopsies can be quite unreliable. Since I only had one spot, I think the course of action for me was more clear. Your situation sounds more complicated.

Good luck,
Monica