PDA

View Full Version : to lyn and others wearing wigs...

lauren
07-09-2004, 10:39 PM
I had nine (YES!! NINE!!) wigs when I was hair-free, and I know a thing or two about how to care for them to make them last:

1. HEAT is a killer. ONLY wash in cold water.
2. ONLY brush with a plastic, wide-spaced brush or comb. No natural bristles.
3. Keep them on a wig stand, covered with a bandana - dust is bad too.

Good luck and have fun with them...I know I did, although I have trouble remembering that.

JoJo
07-10-2004, 03:42 AM
hey lauren,

You must've had a lot of fun with your wigs! Way to go, girl! :-)

I was bald while on chemo of course, and all I wore was the typical turban & a variety of hats. I actually got a free wig, but never got around to it... I'm probably the least vain person in the world, since losing my hair wasn't a bit traumatic to me, as it could be to some ladies. I'm allergic to systhenic (spell?) fabric. Real-hair wigs cost an arm & leg, at least to me. Should I go on the 2nd round of chemo (if new hormone meds don't work), I'll more likely use a wig, after all. I was kinda tired of wearing the same old hat the 1st time around.

Lastly, and NOT least importantly, there's absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a wig!!!

Linda in Calif.
07-10-2004, 05:16 AM
Hey JoJo: I, like you, didn't mind the hair loss too much. My normal hair was very thin and fine so my wig actually looked better than my "real" hair. My natural color is an ashy blonde and I got a cute little strawberry blonde wig that everyone loved. It was great to wake up in the morning and just pop my wig on instead of fussing with my hair for 20 min. So I guess it's all in how you look at things. Of course, I was lucky in that my family and co-workers were all really supportive and helpful. Take Care, Linda
PS. I saved my wig "just in case".

Donna
07-10-2004, 07:52 AM
JoJo,
My insurance company picked up the cost of my wig after having chemo. If you have a beautician school in your area, they may being giving used wigs away. Ours does.

Lyn
07-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Thanks Lauren, this is actually my third time being bald, the worst thing was hearing the wind rush in my ears, it felt so weird, the best thing was if I didn't feel like talking to someone when I was out they didn't recognise me unless I spoke first. It has been nearly 4 years so I just got my hair back to the way it was when I was first diagnosed but when I went out to day a young girl commented I had a wild hair do and when I told her it was a wig she said she never would have guessed, this one I call the Meg Ryan look, I wish.

Love & Hugs Lyn

lauren
07-11-2004, 03:58 AM
I had plenty of people ask me when my hair was going to fall out and why my hair hadn't fallen out already or whether the chemo I was on did not make ones' hair fall out...only to tell them, "I am wearing a wig..."