PDA

View Full Version : Kitty - you hit it!

Steph N
07-16-2004, 05:57 AM
THANK YOU!
Now it is my turn to weigh in on this, but Kitty said just about what I was getting ready to write.

But, I will add a few more thoughts. First, many of us Stage IV survivors did not have the opportunity to join a Herceptin trial - or, if one was offered, our number of positive nodes and other factors caused our med onc to advise other routes of aggressive treatment, rather than risk that we not get into the Herceptin arm (even if they thought it might be a good drug for us). There was less known about Herceptin and there were other new drugs that had some kind of track record to use.
Some of us had never even HEARD of Herceptin at the time our initial disease presented itself.

Those gals more newly diagnosed have the benefit of this site, as well as other ways to be informed of their risks with HER2. When one has NOT been diagnosed with mets, it must be a very scary thing to hear about the problems we Stage IV survivors have to endure and live around. The second and third times around many of us are posting about. To those of us who HAVE made it to NED or a stable situation, these ARE messages of hope and tips to keep our symptoms manageable.

Those women who have even ONE positive node realize that this disease is in their body and have learned that cancer cells are the hardest cells in our bodies to kill. They want to fight with ALL available weapons, and some get into a real twist about that. They have this board to sound off on. Most are in their 30's or 40's with young families. Many (not all) of us Stage IV survivors are grandma's in our late 40's, 50's or older. We are better able to handle what is happening to us. (I shudder to think how I would have reacted at having my life possibly cut short in my 30's!)
PERSPECTIVE is not easy to achieve amid all the emotions and internal turmoil a cancer diagnosis brings. A good perspective is also difficult when we are living amidst so much research and waiting for trial results. Our LIVES are at stake and this is the ultimate worry.
We need to make the best use of this site by continuing sharing information, for ALL stages of this pernicious disease. Lisa's Fight Song must stay foremost in our minds, and we much each do whatever we can to manage that fight as best we can. We do not have crystal balls, and have to move through treatment with the best positive attitude we can muster.
I look at the early stage "fighters" as living more with the fear of a specter they want to avoid. Those of us who have had to already deal with this specter are in a different space with this.