PDA

View Full Version : Bra line nerve problems

Ruth S
07-14-2004, 10:31 PM
It doesn't seem that I have any extra skin at all under my arm. It is really really tight under there and mostly numb. I wonder why the difference? I had 16 lymphnodes in total removed with a mod. rad. masc. I wonder if that is the difference in the surgery? With skin saving surgery do they leave enough skin for reconstruction? Does that mean you won't need expanders? After the radiation my bra line gives me grief. It is so tender in some spots. I wonder if I have some kind of nerve exposed. My support system friend (diagnosed with stage 3b 11 years ago at age 32 - still NED :-)) still has problems with a nerve and is only able to wear sports bra's. She had reconstruction done years ago.

I never thought that I would have these many difficulties with my shoulder and arm. I don't have lymphodema but the numbness and irritation with the bra drives me nuts. I was a competitive swimmer for 10 years so it is very hard for me to adjust to these changes in my body. I try to remain positive about it but it is just another reminder of the cancer and all that comes with it.
Well, my one year old is demanding that I get off the computer!
Ruth

Lyn
07-17-2004, 05:42 PM
I too had 16/16 removed and all positive, I refer to my underarm as having 2 arm pits, I also had chest and pectoral muscles removed so I wear a singlet as sports bras ride up and my prothesis is too heavy on my shoulder which I fractured last year but I am due for a reconstruction, I was scheduled last year October 7 but I had a thyroid problem which gave me heart failure and now treating another mets to the neck so hopefully back on track again soon, but I will be having the DEIP and not much can be done about the under arm and my upper arm has always been puffy and numb from the nerve damage from surgery.

Love & Hugs Lyn