PDA

View Full Version : Any freaky fosamaz experiences out there

joy
07-20-2004, 01:57 AM
I think I'm having reactions to fosamax which is weird cause i never react to anything. What else can be used if fosamax doesn't work for me. i have some osteopenia due to being the 36 year old menopausal type thanks to zolodex. i will be in the office soon to ask but just wondered about the "gang" out there. thanks
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE joy

Christine
07-20-2004, 03:03 AM
Thought you may like to know that I take Actonel, which is the same chemically as Fosamax, but think side effects are milder, but still get little annoying pains once in a while. I checked that by stopping and the pains go away the following week. But I still would like to know if you find out today if there are any other alternative drugs that work in a different way than these, which are in the same class of drugs for osteoporosis. There is an injectible type, but found out that one of the side effects was cancer risk. All drugs have side effects, some are worrisome and need to be known.

Lolly
07-20-2004, 09:45 AM
Joy,
I had VERY severe muscle aches and pains while on the once a week dose of Fosamax for osteopenia, which moved from one part of my body to another, plus feeling "fluish". Things would just get back to normal and it would be time for another dose. I quit taking it for this reason, so my PC was going to let me try a half dose to see if that would lessen the symptoms. Then I started treatment for recurrence, and put it on hold again until finishing this round. I'll have a bone density scan then and if the osteopenia has progressed will have to make a decision. Maybe I'll try Actonel, but would also like to know what they tell you today.
Love,
Lolly

jojo
07-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Hello Joy,

I come from a family history of osteoporosis (sp?), on BOTH sides! :-( My mom used to take Fosamax for 5 years, and then she stopped. She told me she would get a funny feeling in her esophorus -- kinda like heartburn -- but that was about it. She also has osteopenia.

I just began on Zoladex, I think back in Feb. I also started on Faslodex this month. I stopped on Femara, which obviously didn't prevent me from recurrence.

I take my 1st bone density test in Sept.

So, I'd love to hear what your onc says about your drug intake. Thanks!