PDA

View Full Version : gamma preparations - jackie

JoJo
08-05-2004, 12:26 PM
Sorry Jackie for your 1st gamma experience, but great that you had a good follow-up today! :-)

I'm wondering: did you ever have a pre-op or pre-consult (whatever they call it) the day before your 1st gamma?

I met with my rad onc for the 1st time last Friday. We walked through our gamma plan together. I told him about my history of responding poorly to needles. At first, they were gonna give me only a .5mg of Ativan, but I pushed it and they gave me 1mg, instead. They also advised me to take the Ativan 1/2 hour before check-in.

I think that the walk-through was a big help. I was adamant about showing me their machine & headframe, especially the infamous screws! I had the whole weekend to 'pep-talk' myself for the gamma on Monday.

Then came in my gamma appt on Monday -- I did have a head MRI (yes, with the same headframe on!) right before they took my gamma. I came in at 6am and did not get out 'til about 1:30pm. All this just for one small tumor!!

Jackie
08-06-2004, 11:47 PM
Yes, I had a good consult with both the rad onc and neurosurg prior to even agreeing to have gamma and they each spent a long time with me. Unlike you, I didn't even want to think about that darned old headframe, let alone look at it beforehand! Now, of course, I see that I should have been more proactive regarding an effective sedative, but once the headframe was on I was OK. The neuro guy just had to deal with me and he probably wished I was unconscious! My problems stemmed from the MRI repeat and the length of time I was in the headframe, although now I don't know if I was ultra sensitive and might have headache problems anyway. Only headache I've ever had previously is sinus related, so who knows. I'm just thankful it was a successful procedure and will try not to think about that day. I'm so glad your procedure went well also. Aren't we both fortunate to have caught those mets early, to which I credit this website!
Love, Jackie
Jackie