PDA

View Full Version : lymphatic massage

JoJo
08-09-2004, 01:44 AM
Do you believe that lymphatic massage can spread cancer manually, especially around enlarged, cancerous nodes???

What does your lymphatic therapist tell you about this?

lauren
08-09-2004, 08:21 AM
I don't think anyone knows whether lymphatic massage is bad or good. The bad possibility, you just named. The good possibility is that it could help your body to cleanse itself of the toxins that cause the cancer to grow and proliferate. My gut tells me to leave it alone and detox in other ways. I just don't think I would be comfortable having a "lympathic massage". That being said, I certainly am all for lying down on the floor with my feet up, which is a bit of lymphatic massage in and of itself in that it sends the lymph and blood moving from your legs back into your torso. Learned that in yoga class this past week. As I was saying, I think I would let my gut be my guide, and your gut is telling you no, it sounds like.

Sandy
08-09-2004, 10:01 AM
My therapist will not do me while I am in treatment. She says its not known if it does or not so they wait until patients are no longer in treatment. There are several who work in the clinic where I go and they all say the same. I waited almost a year before I had any massaging or taping done. Hugs, Sandy

lauren
08-09-2004, 10:26 AM
I didn't realize you were talking about this because you have lymphedema....I agree with what someone wrote below that it would be helpful to elevate the arm, fingers higher than shoulder. I would also think that you could do a little gentle "self-massage" without fear of harm....taking the fingers of your non-lymphedema hand and stroking your lymphedema arm very gently, stroking toward the heart....sort of reminding your circulatory system where to go....it can't hurt, right? and it would feel nice...and if it helps...well...great!