PDA

View Full Version : Peter Jennings special on breast cancer

Lisa
08-18-2004, 02:02 PM
I saw from another site that Peter Jennings is doing a 5-part special on new cancer treatments. Tonight's (Wed) was on breast cancer. Did anyone see it? Any news?

Love and light,

Lisa

Rozebud
08-18-2004, 10:54 PM
I missed it too....but there is a link on the site to some articles that hopefully represent what he discussed:

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Living/reuters20040818_458.html

Kathie in New Jersey
08-18-2004, 11:19 PM
If your referring to ABC's Nightly News, I saw it. Last night they did touch on Breast Cancer. It was about a blood test, didn't call it by name, that can detect if the tx you are on is working. The blood test must be done prior to treatment and then taken following treatment.

Kathie

michele u
08-19-2004, 12:39 AM
Lisa,
I think it is the same thing vinnie is talking about on the post below this. He has a link to it. It is called CellSearch system. I tried to get more info on the net but nothing is coming up.

brian
08-19-2004, 01:22 AM
There is an article in today's Wall Street Journal, personal section on a new blood test that detects breast cancer cells in the blood stream. Article indicates that it will be extremely helpful in cases of recurrent or metastatic bc in determining whether or not treatments are having a beneficial effect.

Vicki Z
08-19-2004, 02:58 AM
I've been watching this series all week, which focuses on new cancer treatments. Tonight's segment looks good, as well. Thanks to the person who posted the ABC news link on the blood test. I'm going to ask my doctor about it even though I'm finishing up my last chemo tomorrow and wasn't aware of the test when I started. I don't know if it's possible to do it post-treatment only. A physician's name was mentioned, but I left it at home, Dr. Daniel ? from the Univ. of Michigan.

In the infusion center, I've also heard from two women about an assay test or tumor genetic profile test, very expensive, that predicts the percentage of recurrence. I don't have the exact test name but will e-mail the person who received it. I also don't know if the test needs to be done prior to surgery or chemo and if it's blood or tissue samples. I believe someone said it's $2,500 and only some medical insurers pay. Hope this helps some of you.

Vicki Z