PDA

View Full Version : Low WBC and Hgb

Jerri
08-24-2004, 10:44 AM
Dear friends,

I am so frustrated today. I was not able to get me chemo as scheduled. I am currently on Navelbine/Carboplatin/Herceptin. My treatment plan is three weeks on, one week off. But my blood just can't seem to handle it. Today my WBC was 1.3 and Hgb 9.1. My Hgb drops one point every week, until eventually my Hgb is 6-7 and I have to have a blood transfusion. I am on Nuepogen and Procrit. Nothing seems to help. I feel so out of control. The last thing I want is to skip treatments and require transfusions. This is my third recurrence so I don't have a lot of room to be switching drugs. I know there are a lot of homeopathic options to boost my immune system and I believe that many of them are effective, but I also understand that it is not reflective in your lab results. Any suggestions? Thanks for listening, just terribly frustrated tonight.

Jerri

Phylicia Bowman
08-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Instead of procrit, ask your doctor about Aranesp for the low hemoglobin level.

Esther
08-24-2004, 03:21 PM
I had a problem with low white blood count and low ANC on Herceptin/Navelbine. We went to an every other week schedule. I get Herceptin/Navelbine every other Monday, and Herceptin alone the Mondays in between. So far it's working great, haven't missed a treatment, and all the markers are improving steadily.

Lolly
08-25-2004, 12:38 AM
I have been getting Arenesp for low hemoglobin while on Navelbine/Herceptin, and my level has slowly improved instead of continuing on a downward slide. The white counts are still a problem, I could only have a half dose of Navelbine yesterday as a result. By next week they'll be high enough for a full dose, at least that's been the pattern so far. I think rest and good diet are the key factors in enabling your counts to recover, but sometimes they just don't. I understand your worry about this, I have it too, but I think even half doses or skipping a dose is still effective, just might take longer to do the job.
Love, Lolly

Barbara
08-25-2004, 05:54 AM
Jerri:

Neulasta is the newest drung for low white counts and Aranesp is the latest for red blood counts. They both cost more than the older drugs but my insurance covered both and I did not have chemo delayed. I was on a every other week chemo schedule.

Jerri
08-25-2004, 06:16 AM
Barbara,

Thanks for your response. Nuelasta will not work well with weekly chemo. It's maximum effect is destroyed by the chemo, it requires a 2 to 3 week cycle.

Jerri

Jerri
08-25-2004, 06:19 AM
Esther,

Thank you for your responce. I might need to look into a modified schedule.

Jerri

Jerri
08-25-2004, 06:20 AM
Phylicia,

Thnk you for your responce. I will look in to Aranesp.

Jerri

Jerri
08-25-2004, 06:22 AM
Lolly,

Thank you for your encouragement. Sometimes I get discouraged. I am going to look in to Aranesp.

Jerri

Hope
08-25-2004, 06:58 AM
Hi Jerri, I posted a similiar post a few days ago about low WBC and not being able to get the full dose of chemo. I know how you feel. It is very frustrating. For me, right when the Gemzar/Xeloda showed to be working for me, my WBC was been so low that almost every week the doctor has to adjust my dosage or put me on another regimen dose or just have me skip chemo. right now, I should be on a schedule of 2weeks on, l week off, but instead I have chemo every other week. So that the week I don't have chemo, I get 5 shots of Neupogen. I also get Aranesp, but so far, my reds have not been to bad. Some one suggested when I posted to drink a cup of beef broth every day. Guess what, I'm boiling my soup bones right now. I guess it can't hurt. I hate to keep taking Neupogen every week. I don't know if too much of that is good for us also. Well, let me know how you do or if you find something that works for you as I am in the same boat. I'll be praying for you. God bless you.

al from Canada
08-26-2004, 09:07 AM
Hi Lolly,
Ask your doc for Neupogen. One a weekly cycle, usually 5-6 shot between chemos will get your counts up.
good luck,
Al

Lolly
08-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks Al. I'll ask about it, as I don't like the idea of only getting a half dose. I only have 2 more months of chemo left, and I'd like to hit it as hard as possible...don't like to do things by half measures!