PDA

View Full Version : Brain MRI Results - Good news!

janelle
09-04-2004, 04:31 AM
Hi Guys,
I went to the Rad/Onc., expecting the results from my second Brain MRI. The nurse calls my name and when I get to the door she said, "the doctor will see you for a few minutes then I'll take you the sim." I said, "radiation simulation? What are you taking about, I came her to get the results from my Brain MRI?" Well, I never saw anyone back peddle so fast! She said that maybe the dr. ordered the simulation time just in case it was needed and those appointments fill up fast. Well, I'm in tears at that point fearing the worst news and the poor nurse felt so bad. She took me to the exam room and I took an Ativan!

The Rad/Onc. came in and said the new Brain MRI showed NO CHANGE from the one 6 1/2 weeks ago. WHAT A RELIEF! She gave me a copy of the report... it was a more detailed as to the location of the spot and the actual size is (still) 4mm. She started to talk about my symptoms (blurred vision, headaches) and asked how bad it was. I told her it was like I needed new glasses and the headaches are from stress or straining to see better, only the Opthamalogist said my vision is 20/25 and it might be dry eyes. She wanted to make calls to my Onc. and the head of Oncology to discuss my case, so she went to make the calls.

I felt a lot better knowing that it hadn't changed and that there were no MORE spots. From what I understand this isn't the pattern of cancer. She did refer to my spot as a lesion, which bothered me, but come to find out that even my psoriases spots are called lesions ... medical lingo. After she spoke with the head of Oncology, we discussed a couple of things:

~ She wants my Med Oncologist to do a Lumbar Puncture to take fluid from the spine (Christine tells me that some BC brain mets cells can sometimes be found in the spinal fluid);

~ She had me contact my former Oncologist to see if they ever took a CT or MRI of the head before... ever. She wonders if I've had this thing for years and would love an old view to compare it to. (I did and he never did any brain scans, so nothing old to compare to);

~ She is going to present my case at the Doctor's Meeting (Tumor Board) on 9/20 with my Oncologist, the head of Oncology, the Radiologist, my Opthamologist and who knows who else. They will discuss my case and she will call me after the meeting;

~ She wants me to get a nother of my Fusion PET/CT, last one 7/14, just routine.

She did refer to my spot as a lesion, which bothered me, but come to find out that even my small psoriases spots are called lesions ... medical lingo for any unusual change in body tissue. I feel that this is the best news that I could have received. No change in existing spot and still only 1 spot. THIS IS WONDERFUL! Can you tell that I'm happy?

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers ... it meant a lot to me and it worked.

Hugs,
Janelle

celina
09-04-2004, 08:04 AM
Janelle,
Please let us know what comes from the meeting. In the meantime, celebrate your wonderful news!!!

Lolly
09-04-2004, 08:41 AM
Janelle, CONGRATULATIONS! And thanks so much for the detailed report, you put a lot of good information up for us all to learn from. Keep us posted, and enjoy your weekend!
Love, Lolly

Janelle
09-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Janelle,
What a relief! To celebrate I put your Edwin McCain Cd in the mail to you today!!! Let me know what they say... I have lesions that they say are more consistent with MS kind thing. I know at some point I will have to have a spinal fluid analysis also, especially if I ever want to go into a trial. Let me know what you do as a follow-up. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!!Alicia