PDA

View Full Version : Occasional slumps...

JoJo
09-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Just letting you all know that I experienced a slump, recently. It happened right after I came back from the Olympics. It really surprised me because I was not even expecting it at all. I guess I was on "Cloud 9" while I was at Olympics. I had SO much fun that the "c" word seemed VERY distant. I couldn't make any sense of the slump AT ALL; it merely felt like a big spash of harsh reality thrown at my little face, like a loud, rude reminder that I STILL have cancer. I was puzzled for a good while.

I've had a few slumps in the past, after my original diagnosis, but they lasted very shortly, like a day or so. This one was a stubborn one, lasting more than three weeks, much harder to get out of the slump. I had to FIGHT mentally, not just give myself a little cute pep talk. I'm not quite out of the slump completely yet, but I am seeing the sunshine at the edge of my dark clouds, and the clouds are slowly dwindling...

Starting to feel better & more energetic about taking on my projects. Home-studying on interior design (one of my dreams); I just ordered a course right after Olympics. Looking for active ways to overcome my slump. Also studying web development, I just started this week. Looking forward to spending every Thurs with my niece / nephew; this will start next week when their au pair leaves. Resuming my volunteer stint at the school every Mon & Wed, also starting next week.

But I tell ya... it's very, VERY hard!!! Especially when I don't have a local support group to attend to or "side buddies" to share experiences with here at home.

nikki uk
09-19-2004, 01:26 AM
Oh Jojo
I am so sorry you feel this way, i know it's so hard to stay focused on the fight sometimes, i know because somedays i feel like throwing in the towel!!
Just wanted to let you know that i am thinking of you, and i pray you feel stronger and more positive soon.
Remember the old saying....in order to see a rainbow we have to endure the rain!! its so true.
Love Nikki

Ruth
09-19-2004, 02:54 AM
Jojo,

I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better these days. You have been on my mind a lot lately. I hope that you have a wonderful week and get out and enjoy the beautiful place you live.

Love ya, Ruth

Rozebud
09-19-2004, 03:57 AM
Sometimes I don't know where you get your positive attitude from. I always am so impressed when you say how your grandmother inspired you....not to complain but to be positive. I get in slumps all the time (had one this weekend) and I'm not even dealing with a tenth of what you are. Lean on your parents and brother's family and friends. And I pray that you are able to find some young women in your own community for a face to face support group session. Want to come to KC for a visit :) ??

Vicki Z
09-21-2004, 04:43 AM
Hi JoJo,

Just seeing your name, JoJo, brings a smile to my face and sunshine to our frequent check-ins with the "board." I loved "traveling" with you to the Olympics and am so glad you did this (for all of us). You are doing the right things with the interior design class and hanging out with your family's children. My father always told us kids that whenever we were feeling down to get up out of the house and go take a walk in the neighborhood or at a local mall or somewhere outside to reconnect. I know nature helps me. Also, shopping (drat, not always a good thing). The slumps will even out again. Hugs and a smile are coming to you from Southern California.

Your friend,

Vicki Z