PDA

View Full Version : Bone density

JoJo
09-21-2004, 07:27 AM
Anyone ever take a bone density test before? If so, how dense were your bones? Any meds for your bone loss?

carlye
09-21-2004, 07:30 PM
I took one last year and I had some borderline osteopina in my hip. I am 40 now and the doc put me on Falsomax. I also take lupron shots to shut down my ovaries.

jeff
09-21-2004, 11:25 PM
Hi Jojo,

My partner Rachel got her bone density test just after starting lupron shots to shut down her ovaries. She was 39 then and the DEXA scan showed her to have osteopenia so she went right on to Fosamax (alendronate), which is a bisphosphonate used in the US for strengthening bone. I think another poster might have combined the name with Faslodex, which is a hormonal treatment. Fosamax is oral, can be taken once a week. It's used in the US, while, as I understand it, in Canada and Europe clodronate is used more frequently.

It's important to get a yearly bone scan if you've had chemo, been put into menopause, etc. And it's important to have it done at the same time each year. It can really vary depending on the time of year: for instance if you're in the Northeast of the US and get it done in early spring, it will probably be your lowest reading of the year, because winter has just ended and your exposure to Vitamin D (i.e. the Sun!) will have been limited.

Best,
Jeff