HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
CarolineC

Vaccine

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/canadia...mise-1.1145166
4 x AC, 4 x Paclitaxol and H (Neupogen for 7 cycles), Herceptin complete Nov 10
Mar–Apr 2010 25 Rads
Apr 10-Oct 11- Tamoxifen
Oct 11 – 3 cm met to sternum
Oct 11-Letrozole for 3 mths, start Clasteon-bone remodeller
Nov-Dec 11 - Happy 50th Birthday -20 rads to sternum
Jan-April 2012 Taxotere/Herceptin-6 cycles (Neupogen for 5)
Herceptin every 3 weeks-Letrozole added Nov 2012
CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
1rarebird

Re: Vaccine

Caroline--
Thanks for this post with its accompanying video. I know we are all hoping that one day soon one of these vaccine trials is going to show success in turning the immune system on in a way that it defeats the invading cancer cells. This trial sounds very promising.--bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
'lizbeth

Yes! Please trial. There are numerous vaccine trials currently. I joined the Walter Reed AE37/GP2 trial. You must enroll within 6 months of finishing Herceptin, this is for early and primary breast cancer survivors. There is a statistical benefit for vacciners, so please consider it.

Other trials are also available. Check clinicaltrials.gov and other sites to find the latest information.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
europa

Just joined the Walter Reed Vaccine trial. But they have narrowed down who can qualify and who can't. If you are HLA positive you qualify, if you are negative you don't. I did a happy dance and hugged my colleague when I got the news I qualified. I get poked on Monday. SO happy
Stage 2B +++ ER+(10%), PR+(5%), HER2+++(1 positive node, 1 micromets to second node)
AC started 12/2011 ended 1/2012
Taxol + Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks ended 4/2012
30 zaps of radiation done 6/2012
Tamoxifen 6/2012
every 3 weeks of Herceptin for another year.
Metformin Trial 8/12
10/12 MRI- CLEAR
01/13 BRAIN MRI- CLEAR!
01/13 Neck MRI- CLEAR!
FINISHED HERCEPTIN 1/9/2013...Woot Woot
Starting Walter Reed Vaccine Trial 2/13
CT Scans + ultrasound of abdomen CLEAR-5/13
02/2015 through 11/2015 emergency D&Cs for Tamoxifen induced uterine polyps which caused uncontrollable hemorrhaging
12/2015 blood clot to left leg caused by Tamoxifen. No longer taking it. On Xarelto, a blood thinner
12/2015 Ablation to prevent hemorrhaging from potential issues with Tamoxifen residue in my system
1/2016 continuing journey without hormonal therapy. Reevaluating the option of a hysterectomy and oopherectomy.
4/1/2018 2mm stroke. Yes, stroke! No cause ever found but they believe it was a migraine that went bonkers and created a tiny clot. No deficits. I was back to normal with 24hrs. Now on baby aspirin for life.
7/27/2018 hysterectomy and oopherectomy
01/07/2019 Mastectomy and expanders put in
3/22/2019 Vtach, almost died. Cause unknown.
7/22/2019 New perky boobs put in
7/21/2020 Off of all drugs but a baby aspirin because of the stroke in 2018.

www.mychemobag.org
www.facebook.com/mychemobag

8 YEARS NED
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
'lizbeth

Europa,

Which vaccine are you receiving? AE37, GP2 or E75?

I'm a GP2 vacciner.

Thanks for joining a clinical trial. You Rock!

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation

Additional treatments:

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 02-28-2013 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
JillaryJill

Just got word that University of Washington, Seattle is accepting 10 candidates for the
Part B, Group 5, Her2 peptide vaccine, plus 2000 mcg Ampligen. 4 mcg, 20 mcg, 79 mcg and 495 mcg have already been tested. I am a little freaked out that they are going from 495 mcg to 2000 mcg in this arm. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? They want me to participate and get my first vaccine this month. Thank you.
ER- PR- Her2+++, grade 3, 12 positive nodes out of 15
Stage IIIc
Started TCH/Chemo December 31, 2010
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin every 3 weeks for a year
33 rounds of TomoTube radiation, to chest wall, neck, skin and lymph area
September, 2011, MRI to lower spine, hips, DX bulging disk, L4 & L5, pain not from cancer
Expanders removed, implants in Dec 1, 2011
Finished Herceptin, December 21, 2011
August 2012, CT of chest and abdomen, all ok
Enrolled in MC1136 Phase I Peptide Vaccine Trial at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
March 2013, First Vaccine
April 2013, 2nd Vaccine
May 2013, 3rd Vaccine
June 2013, 4th Vaccine
July 2013, 5th Vaccine
August 2013, 6th Vaccine Done!
September 2013, Mayo visit, Echo results 68, vaccine did not effect my heart! Blood work normal.
January 31, 2013, Mayo visit, Echo normal
February 23, 2014, Numb lips on right side, Brain MRI, normal!
June, 2015, Finished the trial at Mayo Clinic. Feels good!
JillaryJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
europa

'lizabeth: I am getting the GP2 too. just got my DCTH(?) test today and will get the vaccine on Wednesday. I don't think they are doing the AE37 anymore as they are no longer accepting HLA negative patients. They found that those patients didn't benefit from the vaccine.
Stage 2B +++ ER+(10%), PR+(5%), HER2+++(1 positive node, 1 micromets to second node)
Tamoxifen 6/2012
Metformin Trial 8/12
10/12 MRI- CLEAR
01/13 BRAIN MRI- CLEAR!
01/13 Neck MRI- CLEAR!
02/2015 through 11/2015 emergency D&Cs for Tamoxifen induced uterine polyps which caused uncontrollable hemorrhaging
12/2015 blood clot to left leg caused by Tamoxifen. No longer taking it. On Xarelto, a blood thinner
12/2015 Ablation to prevent hemorrhaging from potential issues with Tamoxifen residue in my system
1/2016 continuing journey without hormonal therapy. Reevaluating the option of a hysterectomy and oopherectomy.
4/1/2018 2mm stroke. Yes, stroke! No cause ever found but they believe it was a migraine that went bonkers and created a tiny clot. No deficits. I was back to normal with 24hrs. Now on baby aspirin for life.

www.mychemobag.org

8 YEARS NED
Old 03-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
StephN

Jill -
I mentioned in another thread that I was in the first phase of that U of W trial. Got the highest dosage, and had NO side effects whatsoever.

They would not go that high if there was not reason to believe that is the effective dose level. The blood of the first round participants is still being analyzed, but there must be enough data that we did not get enough ampligen, and now they know it is safe.

Good luck!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
'lizbeth

Europa,

I'm sorry but I think you have received some misinformation on the AE37 vaccine. It is quite effective. The last report at SABC showed a 43% reduction in recurrence rates.

I did a little snooping and found this:

http://www.abstracts2view.com/sabcs1...hp?nu=P1-13-01

Then I went and checked the company's website and found they are planning on starting a phase III trial for lower expressers this year.

I'm a bit concerned about the rush for the lower expressions market, since I'm historically a higher expresser. I wonder if AE37 gets approved for lower expressors, are the HER2+++ just out of luck?

Anyone else know more about this?

Additional treatments:

Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
europa

'lizbeth: All I know is that the Sibley Memorial Walter Reed vaccine trial is no longer accepting HLA negative patients because they concluded that the vaccine did not benefit them. I had to get blood drawn and tested and I came out positive so I was allowed to enter the trial. When I read the documents on the trial, it seemed that initially those that were HLA negative were randomized to wither A37 vaccine without GM-CSF and or GM-CSF alone. But now, they are only accepting HLA + patients and those either receive the GP2 + GM-CSF or GM-CSF alone.
Perhaps there is another A37 vaccine trial or I missed something in the documents they gave me.
Tamoxifen 6/2012
Metformin Trial 8/12
10/12 MRI- CLEAR
01/13 BRAIN MRI- CLEAR!
01/13 Neck MRI- CLEAR!

www.mychemobag.org

8 YEARS NED
Old 03-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
'lizbeth

Generex Provides an Overview of its Cancer Immunotherapy Product, AE37, and Potential in Early Breast Cancer Given Current and Potential Future Therapies - Wednesday, January 30, 2013

WORCESTER, Mass. and TORONTO, Jan. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Generex Biotechnology Corporation (www.generex.com) (OTCBB: GNBT) today provided an overview on the early breast cancer competitive status of the lead cancer immunotherapy product, AE37, under development at its wholly-owned subsidiary, Antigen Express, Inc. (www.antigenexpress.com). A detailed update on development plans will be provided during the previously announced conference call scheduled for Thursday, January 31, 2013. Antigen Express is in late Phase IIb clinical development for early stage breast cancer that has provided very encouraging interim results and Phase I testing in prostate cancer has been completed.
The specific advantage of the cancer immunotherapy product AE37 is in early breast cancer by potentially stimulating the immune system to target HER2 (the target for Herceptin's effect) on breast cancer cells at low levels independent of immune type of the person. This follows in the footsteps of one of the most successful therapeutics ever developed for breast cancer (Herceptin), though AE37 potentially addresses an early breast cancer patient population of unmet need several times more common than those treated with Herceptin. In particular, while Herceptin is approved for use in roughly 25% of early stage breast cancer patients with high expression of HER2, it is not approved for the larger group of women (50% of women with early breast cancer) who have lower levels of expression of the target for Herceptin (HER2). Rather than attacking HER2 cancer cells directly as does Herceptin, AE37 works by stimulating the immune system to recognize HER2. The greater sensitivity of the immune system can thereby be brought to bear to recognize and kill cancer cells in this larger low HER2 expressing early breast cancer population. An additional potential advantage is that the immunological memory induced by AE37 means the immune system may continue to scan for and kill HER2 cancer cells long after AE37 treatment has been completed.
Herceptin is approved for metastatic and early stage breast cancer patients. Its 2010 annual sales were nearly $6B. Given that the initial target population for AE37 in early stage breast cancer patients is twice that of Herceptin, AE37 has the potential to achieve blockbuster status.
The potency of AE37 derives from a fragment of the HER2 protein combined with a proprietary modification developed at Antigen Express. While similar fragments of HER2 are also in clinical development for early stage breast cancer patients with low HER2 expression, they lack the potency of AE37. Further, their mechanism of action requires use to be limited to a sub-group of people with a specific genetic immune type. The clinical use of these alternative HER2 immune fragments therefore must exclude roughly half of the women with early breast who would otherwise be eligible. No genetic immune limitation or exclusion from clinical use is required for AE37 treatment. Any market competition in early breast cancer from these alternate HER2 fragments would be limited to the genetic immune sub-group, with AE37 facing no competition in patients excluded from other treatments. Further, additional genetic immune profile testing adds another diagnostic step before a woman with early breast cancer could get a potential new treatment. Any agents requiring additional testing may be at a competitive disadvantage.
Another advantage that sets AE37 apart from other types of related vaccines is that it contains a proprietary modification that is exclusive to Antigen Express. The modification, termed Ii-Key, derives its name from the immune regulatory molecule from which it is derived (Ii protein) and the fact that it functions as a 'key' to deliver its payload (HER2 fragment) to critical components of the immune system that ensure generation of a robust and specific immune response. What makes this modification unique is that it amplifies the vaccine potency of the HER2 fragment without loosing specificity, unlike many non-specific immune stimulants. The Ii-Key modification can be added to many different 'payloads' to generate a specific and robust immune response. Given the increasing interest in cancer immunotherapy, this will be very attractive to companies wishing to 'supercharge' their specific vaccines.
The positive interim data of the AE37 trial have received particular attention given the robust and well-designed nature of the Phase IIb trial. In addition to being the only randomized, controlled and blinded study conducted with this type of HER2 targeted immunotherapy, it is also the largest vaccine therapy study conducted in the adjuvant breast cancer setting to date (330 patients). In recognition of the quality of the trial and encouraging results, the abstract reporting the interim results was recognized with a 2012 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Merit Award bestowed by the Conquer Cancer Foundation and the 2012 Scientific Program Committee of ASCO. Further, the FDA has given the company the green light to proceed with submission of a Special Protocol Assessment for the Phase III trial.
Antigen Express is well positioned to execute on its business model, which includes potential out-licensing of additional clinical development of its lead compound in early breast cancer while pursuing additional products using its proprietary immunotherapy Ii-Key technology platform upon which AE37 is based. The advancement of AE37 in breast cancer clinical development will help to validate the company's immune technology platform. Low expression of the HER2 target is widespread among a variety of cancers including breast, prostate, ovarian, lung and cancers of the GI tract suggesting potential future areas for clinical research. Additionally, there are many other cancer targets similar to HER2 for which Antigen Express could design immune targeting compounds as along the linesAE37 targetsHER2.

Additional treatments:

Old 11-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
Shar

Is there anyone in Canada that knows how to get into a trial for a vaccine. I am in Edmonton, and have 9 more Herceptin treatments.
Shar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:43 AM   #13
sochnedo

When I read the documents on the trial, it seemed that initially those that were HLA negative were randomized to wither A37 vaccine without GM-CSF and or GM-CSF alone. But now, they are only accepting HLA + patients and those either receive the GP2 + GM-CSF or GM-CSF alone. ???