HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
carlatte7

Loose fingernails...

Hi, all. I have a ? I finished my 4 TCH on july 2, herceptin every 3 weeks still. No neuropathy, etc, while on TCH. Yesterday i noticed the nail on my little finger looked "cloudy" at the tip, and when i looked closer, it is peeling away from the nailbed from the tip down. Today its loosened about halfway to the cuticle. Just a bit ago, i noticed the other little finger is looking the same. Its not painful, but, well, YUCK! Does this sound like the normal fingernail issue from Taxotere? Is there anythingto do about it? I see my onco on monday, just started rads yesterday. Thanks!
May1- first chemo.
May 5- I could no longer feel the mass. Really. Neither could my oncologist.
July 2- 4th TCH- Oncologist cancels last 2 tx due to "complete response"
August6- lumpectomy with axillary node dissection. No disease present in breast. 1 out of 14 nodes + (4mm)
MUGA #2- 72%
Finished 30 rads Oct '12. Mild lymphedema noticed when I had 2 rads left.
Continue Herceptin q3w until next May
April '13- first mammo since surgery- calcium deposits that are " not concerning." Well, they are concerning to ME! Turned loose from surgeon for 6 months! One more Vit H, will make plans then for port removal.
Oct '13- no change in calcium deposits. "See ya in 6 months!" Keeping port for now.
March '14- oncologist says return in 6 mo.
April '14- mammo unchanged. Surgeon will see me in 6 months but no mammo for a year unless something changes. Its getting easier, but oh, boydo i hate that scanxiety! Keeping port until 2 year anniversary of last Herceptin.
Sept'14- bloodwork good, return to onco in 8 months.
Oct'14- surgeon will see me in April '15. Moving on.
May '15- mammo unchanged, keeping same schedule. Tumor markers soon and if all is well port comes out.
July '15-tumor markers normal. See onco in a year. Appt. for port end of month. First grandchild born July 1st- for today, life is good.
carlatte7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
karen z

Re: Loose fingernails...

I had major nail problems while on Taxol. Clouding, some turned black, some fell off, some .........I will just use the word yuk.

I do not think there is anything to do but wait. All of my fingernails turned black and they (eventually) were fine. Toenails came back as well although the nails on my large toes came in thicker than they were, which is not the greatest. And a couple of other toenails just didn't come in as great as before but are basically o.k. Time will take care of these things typically. Just remember that.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
carlatte7

Thanks...i was looking for it earlier- not 2 months after last chemo. I would have thought they would start loosening from the cuticle end. I am going to haiti in 2 months & can't stand te thought of wearing nitrile gloves for 10 days!! This too shall pass
May1- first chemo.
August6- lumpectomy with axillary node dissection. No disease present in breast. 1 out of 14 nodes + (4mm)
MUGA #2- 72%
April '13- first mammo since surgery- calcium deposits that are " not concerning." Well, they are concerning to ME! Turned loose from surgeon for 6 months! One more Vit H, will make plans then for port removal.
Oct '13- no change in calcium deposits. "See ya in 6 months!" Keeping port for now.
April '14- mammo unchanged. Surgeon will see me in 6 months but no mammo for a year unless something changes. Its getting easier, but oh, boydo i hate that scanxiety! Keeping port until 2 year anniversary of last Herceptin.
May '15- mammo unchanged, keeping same schedule. Tumor markers soon and if all is well port comes out.
July '15-tumor markers normal. See onco in a year. Appt. for port end of month. First grandchild born July 1st- for today, life is good.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
Lori R

I too battled the lifting nails and have some very real world advice to pass along.

The first time on taxotere no neuropathy but my finger started to tingle. I mentioned it to my onc who kind of ignored it. I did end up with an infection on one nail that antibiotics quickly took care of. So...just be aware and don't let your onc ignore it for too long.

Now...let's just see if I can really gross everyone out. On my recent round of abraxane my finger nails lifted (again) and they began to ooze. I was very fearful they would get infected. They actually smelled and everytime I put my hand to my face, I was reminded that all was not right. TEA TREE OIL. absolutely worked. I dropped some of this minty extract under my nails and the oozing stopped. The smell went away. My nails still looked funky but at least I didn't have to worry about them smelling.

Good luck....it will pass.
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
carlatte7

I boughttea tree oil to try to prevent burns from rads...no oozingyet from loose nails but i've got it lose in case! Thanks!
May1- first chemo.
MUGA #2- 72%
Old 09-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Loose fingernails...

Yes, Carla is not unusual I found out. My finger nails all turned black. And lifted from the nail bed. Angled. Then -- oozy crusty stuff appeared in between the nail and bed. I went to an excellent dermatologist who assured me that there was no infection.

So I polished my nails red and didn't wear rings, trying to cover up the nasty sight. I felt like I looked like I was rotting. But I wasn't! I put a smile on face, lipstick on my lips, blush on my cheeks and some earrings peeking out from my wig. I did my best. Sure, you will too! It's what we have to do.

I wanted to appear as normal as possible. As good as one could expect under the circumstances. Clutching a tissue 24/7 cause the tears just kept pouring from my eyes. (Refresh + individual eye drops -- every single hour -- finally helped, I learned -- from the 5th ophthamologist I went to...)

My finger tips did kind of sting prior to and during this episode. They felt tender. Sore. (I did 8 mnths of Taxotere, every 3 wks back in the day. That's a whole lot of Taxotere.)

The new regimen sounds keen to me. No walk in the park I know. Stay strong!

I tried Tea Tree Oil once for something. I recall the odor made me throw the bottle away. How do you spell PEE-U...???
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
carlatte7

8 months...you are my hero! I was not sorry they cancelled mylasttwo, just hoping it doesn't come back to bite me. All over that one single node... I blamedthe weepy eyes And runny nose (continually!) on vit H. My darling daughter just helped me dye my 1/2" long hair. Tomorrow is go to church without a hat day! Woo!
May1- first chemo.
MUGA #2- 72%
Old 09-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Loose fingernails...

I remember 1/2 " long hair! It was silver. And my then 3 yr granddaughter was sitting at my card table with me when she noticed I dyed it. Her mouth fell open and her eyes were huge(r) than usual. HOW DID YOU DO THAT???!!!, she asked. Then she said, CAN I TOUCH IT???? I smiled and said, Yes, of course, and I still remember her sliding off my leather chair to let her feet touch the floor so she could skeedaddle over to me. I leaned down for her to touch. So funny. She will be 16 in November.

And I am still here, hair and all...

I can recall Melissa Ethridge (the singer) performing post chemo w/her bald head. She looked fabulous! And sounded fantastic! She had on makeup and earrings and sported her non-do proudly. She was gorgeous. Radiant. Full of Life!!! So, Carla, you go girl!! Praise be!

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 09-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
carlatte7

My DD is 30 next week. . I am a school nurse and my kiddos in 1st grade ask me every day..."mrs. Rice, do you have hair yet? ". I bought2 wigs and wore one twice...this was not the summer to add fuel to hot flashes! I'd be more comfy with my 1/2" hair if i could get rid of this 25#, but i am happy to be at this stage in my journey- worrying about hair and fingernails. Praise be indeed!
May1- first chemo.
MUGA #2- 72%
Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
harrie

I had the same problems with my nails and my TCH tx. Tea tree oil worked well and my nails went back to normal later after the tx was done.
FYI, at the time I thought I was getting a fungal infection, went to a nail salon who sold me some antifungal stuff to put on. Fortunately I did not use the fungal stuff and shortly after my onco told me it was from the TCH and recommended the tea tree oil. So don't be like me and make the same initial mistake of thinking it is a fungal infection!

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #11
sarah

We had a member of our cancer group whose nails fell off and it was painful, she felt she should have been warned. At the hospital they do have a printed pamphlet with side effects that mentions this but apparently they say it's rare!!! well more common than they think if you ask me. so the tea tree oil helped? good to know will pass this tip on.
good health,
sarah
Old 09-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
Andrea Barnett Budin

I had a beloved friend who when I told her about my nails (she lived in Connecticut and I in Florida) she said, That is unacceptable! Outrageous. I have 10 good nails and I don't need them (she was very sick and rarely went out). If I could, I'd put them in an envelope and mail them to you!

Love. Isn't it beautiful?!

My nails did heal. And w/the 10 yrs of Herceptin they peeled and were frail. But I started using a protein (like Nailtique) that has made my nails even healthier. Goes on under base coat. My nails don't grow long, but they look nice and neat. I like to think of them as a sensible length...