HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
LeahM

Chemo And Hair

I'm not sure if this is the right board to post this on or not but....

Embur102 and I have been in touch privately lately as we both begin our chemo on the same day. A lot of our talks (emails) have been about our hair and it's temporary demise. She did something quite fun with her hair in anticipation of losing it (but that is her story to tell) and it made me (both of us, actually) wonder what other people may have done when faced with hair loss. So here is my hair story:

On July 10 I start chemo. On July 18 I will go see Martino Cartier (already consulted with him and chose my wig), the founder of www.friendsarebyyourside.com. He will shave my hair off and give me my wig. I have been in touch with him and here is what we plan to do. Martino will cut my hair super short, shave a ribbon in the back of it, and use pink colored hair spray to color it in. (actually, he will let my 7 year old go crazy with the colored hair spray before he shaves it off, and let her help shave it too). Once that is done I will hold a sign above my head that says "The Wrong Bitch" with arrows pointing down for a photo op.

Background: soon after ny diagnosis a friend showed up at my house with some gifts, one of them was a bumper sticker that says "Hey Cancer! You Picked The Wrong Bitch". Since then I have rec'd a box in the mail adressed to "The Wrong Bitch Leah" and it has become a standing joke among my friends.

I figure the picture I take will be a good Facebook profile picture.

And I wonder...did you do anything fun with your hair before it fell out, and if so, what?

It's weird now, what I find humorous. My warped sense of humor has become even more warped lately.
May 10, 2012: BRCA 1,2 Negative
May 23, 2012: MUGA Scan EF 70%
May 31, 2012: B/L Mastectomy. 2/2 nodes removed and CLEAR!! Power Port placed. 2 Drains. 2 Expanders placed
June 5, 2012: Drains OUT! Ahhhh..
June 12, 2012: Final Pathology Report, .8x.3cm tumor. Micromets to 1 node .35mm under cytokeratin staining. Stage 2A. Onc says "you are lucky to have found this early"
July 10, 2012: Started 6 rounds of TCH with weekly H
Sept 5, 2012: MUGA 65%
Sept 20, 2012: CAT scan of brain clear!
Oct 23, 2012: LAST TC! AMEN! Continue Herceptin every three weeks until July 2013.
Nov 19, 2012: Port out!
Dec 5, 2012: Started radiation
Dec. 10, 2012: MUGA 65%
Dec. 13, 2012: Turned 40. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!
Jan 23, 2013: Last radiation. Told I am NED. Continue Herceptin every three weeks till July 2013.
Jan 29, 2013: Begin 5 years of Tamoxifen.
Feb 28, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. 5mm and 4mm nodules of unknown origin. Rescan in 3 months.
Mar 6, 2013: EF 60%
May 8, 2013: Exanders out, implants implanted...abd. lipo and fat moved up. Girls are looking good!
June 3, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. Previous nodules gone. New nodules (2mm and 3mm) found. Rescan in 3 months. So sorry I opened this can of worms...
June 11, 2013: EF 60%
June 25, 2013: Last Herceptin. wow...
Aug 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Xray to sore left ribs shows no disease or fractures.
Sept 9, 2013: CT of lungs shows no disease. Closing this can of worms and moving on.
Nov 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Severe Vit D deficiency, started on prescription Vit. D. Blaming chemo for this.
Feb 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits. Graduated to twice yearly onc appts.
Oct 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Bone density scan fine. Bone scan and xray of ribs shows "something" 4th right rib. Could be healed fracture but if it is healed why does it hurt?
Nov 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Follow up bone scan clear.
Feb 2016: Syncope! WTF? Dizzy too. Brain scan clear, ECHO EF 60%, Halter Monitor shows heart is fine. Viral? I will never know.
June 2016: Tumor markers WNL.
Oct 2016: Stabbing pain right eye. Long story short, trigeminal neuralgia.
Nov 2016 Brain MRI clear.
Jan 2017: Tumor markers WNL, still getting weird pain right rib area, and sometimes right upper chest. Xray x2, Bone Scan, Breast MRI all clear. Scar tissue? Rads. I may never know.
www.onmywaytosurvivorhood.blogspot.com
www.thechemobag.com
www.facebook.com/thechemobag
LeahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Becky

Re: Chemo And Hair

I had long hair and was very afraid to get it cut into a shorter style so before I even had my first chemo, I got some short hairstyle magazines and picked a look. I went to my hair dresser and had it cut. She didn't know I had cancer (yet) so it was a fun party in there. And it looked very good even though later (when the hair came back) I went with a different style. Even though my profile picture doesn't show it, my hair is long again and I am going to get it cut off. After all - even I know what I look like in a super short pixie so I am not afraid to change my hairdo anymore.

Also, I went to a look good, feel better class given by the American Cancer Society the day of my second chemo. My hair was just starting to come out. The girls that gave the class had a beauty shop and told me to come down and they would shave me and trim my new wig (if needed). After I was shaved, a young girl (maybe 15 or so) got in the chair next to mine for a haircut. She looked at me with wide eyes. I told her to be careful because "they take off alittle too much" here. Haha. Everyone laughed so hard. The manicurist in that shop was a 27 year survivor. She only had one boob that day because she went to Atlantic City with her girlfriends for the weekend and lost her fake one somewhere and was waiting for the new one to come in. These experiences and people were precious to me.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
embur102

Becky,

Your post made me laugh....I was too lazy to put in my "fake" boob the other day, so I just added fluff to that side of the bra. After a couple hours of running errands, I stopped in to see my daughter, who was working at a department store nearby. She looked at me with horror, motioned me close, and whispered "Mom, your boob is way up here!". The fluff had moved! This is my life now

My two older sons dared me to shave my hair into a mohawk and dye it pink for their punk/metal band's upcoming show. How could I not?? It is something we will remember forever.
embur102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
AliciaB

Wink Re: Chemo And Hair

After my hair was completely bald, I had a henna crown done by one of my friends.. ill see if I can attach it later.
Alicia
Stage 2B
Tumor left breast 2.2 cm
IDC
1/4 nodes positive
ER+ ( 98%) PR+ (95%)
HER2 (FISH 2.5:1)
BRCA I & BRCA II negative
March 2012 bilateral mastectomy ( Family hx)
April 2012 chemo- TCH
AliciaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
carlatte7

I had been growing my hair a couple years so i could ponytail it when we went to haiti. I was not worried a bit about losing my hair- its hair,it will grow back...but i didnt want to lose that ponytail that had gone to haiti twice! So...i had my hairdresser cut it off. Its tied with a ribbon in a frame, and it will probably o back to haiti with me in november! Its funny, but after shaving my head preparing for the inevitable taxotere fallout...my leftover hair is still growing- only the gray. Itlooks like led lights!
carlatte7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Deb33

I would give myself a constant reality check during my bald days by saying things like, "at least my teeth aren't falling out" or "at least I'm not losing my limbs". Hair seems so small when you think of permanent disabilities. Same with eyebrows and eyelashes - everything really does grow back and the whole situation makes you realize how strong you are. When all of this is over, you will have an amazing internal confidence of how well you can handle things.
2/23/11 Began TCH protocol every 21 days 6x
5/23/11 Ultrasound of originally diseased lymph node shows normal
7/25/11 Lymph node dissection - 8 of 14 show disease
7/29/11 Double mastectomy with reconstruction (expanders)
8/29/11 Begin follow up chemo - Adriamycin 4 treatments every 2 weeks and Xeloda. Self inject Nupogen shots
1/6/12 6 weeks of Radiation finished
2/13/12 Last Herceptin/remove port
3/27/12 PET/Brain Scan NED :)
8/15/12 Final reconstruction - hello nipples, good bye expanders
9/14/12 Rejected implant/infection. Implant removed
5/6/13 Latissumis Dorsi surgery left side with expander

PS - my photo was taken 5 days after my double mastectomy surgery and 6 weeks after my TCH was completed
Deb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
snolan

Well said Debbie. We seem to worry about the small things and forget that we still have lives to live. Hair and finger nails are not necessary for us to survive. It is helpful to poke fun at what is going to happen to smooth the transition. I have a friend just finished chemo and she went wild with some of her wigs. Just embrace it as it does make you stronger in the end.
Suzanne
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
chemteach

My hair was the longest it has ever been in my life when diagnosed. I am a high school teacher and knew it would be coming out, so I cut it fairly short after my first round of TCH. Of course, I pulled on it every day until it was "ripe." My students were on this journey with me, and one day I said to them after a grueling lesson, "You guys are are making me crazy today! You're making me pull out my hair!" I reached up and pulled out a huge fistful of hair, and they just gasped! I felt kind of bad for a little while because some of them went home and told their parents. I don't want to do that again.
9/19/2011 Started TCH every 3 weeks, TC for six cycles, Herceptin for 1 year

May all of your dreams bloom like daisies in the sun....
chemteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
Laurel

As my hair began to drop, I figured I could not stand the stuff all over my pillow (and floor and back, yada yada), so I grabbed the shearers that I use to clip my springer spaniel and headed out to the patio where I shaved myself just like the dog!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote