HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 11-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Rich66

Vitamin D3 better than metformin for insulin sensitivity

http://www.tulsaworld.com/Scene/arti...4_DearPh185644

"a 2004 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition which found that raising a person's blood levels of vitamin D (from 25 to 75 nmol/l) could improve insulin sensitivity by a whopping 60 percent. "

"Compare that to metformin, one of our pharmaceutical gold-standards, which can dispose of blood sugar by a meager 13 percent "

"I suggest you ask your doctor if he minds you supplementing with about 5,000 IU "cholecalciferol" or vitamin D3 every morning."

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
Rich66

Re: Vitamin D3 better than metformin for insulin sensitivity

Vitamin D Good for Breast Cancer Patients

FRIDAY, Oct. 9 (HealthDay News) -- Many breast cancer patients have low levels of vitamin D, which could lead to weaker bones and increased risk of fractures, say U.S. researchers who recommend high doses of vitamin D for them.
"Vitamin D is essential to maintaining bone health, and women with breast cancer have accelerated bone loss due to the nature of hormone therapy and chemotherapy. It's important for women and their doctors to work together to boost their vitamin D intake," Luke Peppone, a research assistant professor of radiation oncology at the University of Rochester Medical Center, said in a news release from the medical cwnter.
Peppone and colleagues studied 166 women undergoing treatment for breast cancer and found that nearly 70 percent had low levels of vitamin D in their blood. The average level among the women was 27 nanograms of vitamin D per milliliter of blood. Levels of 32 nanograms per milliliter are adequate, according to the U.S. Institute of Medicine.
The lowest levels of vitamin D were in non-whites and those with late-stage breast cancer.
The researchers found that weekly supplementation with high doses of vitamin D (50,000 IU or more) boosted the levels of the vitamin among all the women.
The study was to be presented Oct. 8 at the American Society of Clinical Oncology's breast cancer symposium in San Francisco.
Previous studies have shown that nearly half of all women and men have vitamin D levels below 32 nanograms per milliliter. Along with strengthening bones, vitamin D plays an important role in cell growth and keeping the immune system strong. People obtain Vitamin D through exposure to sunlight and from foods such as milk and fortified cereals.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...iclekey=106411

Old 11-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Rich66

"50,000 IU" ?! is that 7,000+ a day? Or is this an infusion 1x/week? It's a lot by any measure. Wayyy beyond any normal dietary intake.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
Rich66

Checked at Walgreens and they do, indeed, have 50,000 IU oral D3 by prescription.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
TanyaRD

I have a lady on 200,000 iu orally prescribed by an endocrinologist. She is not an oncology patient but has some malabsorptive issues. She is now getting it IV with us.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:41 AM   #6
Rich66

That's some heavy D, Tanya. I'm confused, was she taking that amount orally at first, now IV? Any side effects? I suppose it's all relative to absorption.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
TanyaRD

No side effects but I think that may be due to her poor absorptive ability. The dose was shocking to me! Even at that dose it was not enough to bring her levels to normal so she had to have the IV therapy.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
rl2

I had my levels checked about 6 months ago at a routine screening and was deficient at 21. I upped my intake to 6000 units a day (dr.'s office said to take 2500) and I am now up to 41 (in normal range, but could go higher). I am now taking 10,000 units of D3 a day.
Another benefit - it is a mood enhancer, frankly, I think it works better than prozac.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
lexigirl

My levels were tested several weeks ago as I was having lots of fatigue and some mild aches. I am already on a med for low thyroid and my thyroid #s were fine.

I tested very low for vit D and have been taking 50000 iu for about 2 mos now. What a difference. I have more energy and dropped about 5 lbs. I can really feel a difference in my achiness.

I would recommend having your vit D levels checked as part of a routine screening.

Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
Rich66

Thanks for the anecdotals.
This D3 issue seems to have some serious legs. No offense intended. I wonder how large it looms in the overall health picture. I mean, if the RDA is ___ and people up and walking around need some ridiculous multiple of that dose to get to equilibirium, seems like it could be a huge deal.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:56 AM   #11
TanyaRD

I believe we will be seeing that RDA recommendation change just as it did for children. I hope it will be sooner than later but in the mean time I think we need to be proactive and check levels routinely and dose accordingly.