HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
kareneg

Red face Gemzar anyone

Please can anyone share there experience if any with Gemzar. I would greatly appreciate it. I love you all!

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
2001 exstensive liver mets and mets to lungs
Started weekly taxol
Jan 2002 found out I was strongly HER2POS+++ started herceptin continued with taxol and herceptin till June 2002 then from June 2002 till Jan 2005 just herceptin and Arimidex
2005 Navelbine herceptin had RFA Then back on taxol with herceptin
April 2006 progression again went on clinical trial with tykrerb/herceptin progressed on the started Xeloda/ herceptin
Feb 2007 started Doxil
August 2007 Taxotere,Carboplatin and Herceptin exstensive mets to liver and pancreas
October 2007 Had to stop Carboplatin due to sever allergic reaction
Jan 2008
Stopped Taxotere due to progression now on Gemzar and Herceptin
March 2008 Starting Carboplatin, Abraxane, and Herceptin.
kareneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Bill

Hi Karen! As always, thinking of you and praying for you. You keep up the positive attitude. Peace and love to you, Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
Carolyns

Hi Karen, Just in case you didn't see my reply to this on your other post here I go again:
Hi Karen,

I am sorry to hear that you got this news of progression. I have been on Gemzar and found it easy to tolerate. I was tired and had to go with 2 weeks on and 1 week off rather than the 3 weeks on and 1 off originally intended. My counts dropped on the 3rd week so we switched.

I used Zofran (don't know if I needed it) but never got a bit sick. Did not lose my hair (thinned a bit and hurt at the scalp) and just felt a little tired. The best part is that it kicked the liver mets to the curb. I hope the same for you!

Love, Hope, and Peace, Carolyn

PS - That is one beautiful baby you are holding...but, I'll bet you have heard that before.
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:57 AM   #4
eric

Hi Karen,

Caryn found the Gemzar very tolerable and I'm happy to say that it (along with Herceptin) got her to NED for 2 years. I hope that it does AT LEAST the same for you.

Eric
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
kareneg

Hi everyone,

Well it has been two days since my first infusion with Gemzar and I have fever. I have had fever with the Taxotere and Carboplatin too, I hope it passes soon. I will keep you posted on my progress. And Carolyn I did read you post and thank you so much for sharing with me.

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
Started weekly taxol
Jan 2002 found out I was strongly HER2POS+++ started herceptin continued with taxol and herceptin till June 2002 then from June 2002 till Jan 2005 just herceptin and Arimidex
April 2006 progression again went on clinical trial with tykrerb/herceptin progressed on the started Xeloda/ herceptin
Feb 2007 started Doxil
August 2007 Taxotere,Carboplatin and Herceptin exstensive mets to liver and pancreas
Jan 2008
Old 01-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
lilyecuadorian

pop up this post ....anyone on GEMZAR ???
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Carolyns

Hi Karen,

Sorry to hear about your fever. I am back on Gemzar myself, started back yesterday. So far so good and no fever.

I hope and pray that you do well on this treatment.

Love, Hope, and Peace,

Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:24 AM   #8
Kavy

Hi, Karen,

I am sorry to hear about your progression.
I am also on Gemzar/Herceptin for 4 months now, after being on Nalvabine/Herceptin for almost 2 years. I am also stage 4 with lung mets.
At first, the only side effect I had with Gemzar was low red blood counts, it was very tolerable, but lately, I have had fever on the day of my treatment and I feel tired, mild short of breath, and the same thing happens a few days later, then I am back to normal, specially on my week off ( I have 2 weeks on, 1 week off, and Herceptin every 3 weeks). I also have swollen legs, but I am not sure the cause of it yet.
I hope this new treatment will be easy on you and it will make those mets be gone for good. By the way, I also had liver mets, several small ones, and they were gone after 5 months of Nalvabine/Herceptin. I hope the same thing happens to you.
Hugs,
KarlaV.
Kavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Bill

Wink

Hi Karen! I hope you're feeling better today. I remembered when Nicola was on Gemzar, the onc. said it would be 2 weeks on, then one off, but she made it 3 weeks straight a few times. I wanted to confirm my memory before I posted, so I called her chemo. nurse and she said yes, Gemzar is one treatment where they can reduce it 25%-50%, depending on your wbc and platelets, so if they are a little low, you don't have to miss a whole treatment. Love and prayers to you, Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #10
Lolly

Hi Karen, Lolly again, just wanted you to know I responded on your other post

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #11
Vanessa

Good luck on the Gemzar!
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #12
kareneg

Thank you all for the well wishes, If there are any more women out there that have been on Gemzar please let me know. Thanks again!

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
Started weekly taxol
Feb 2007 started Doxil
Jan 2008
Old 01-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #13
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Karen! Just wanted you to know that I was think of you today! Sending you smiles and hugs. ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote