HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
Joe
Webmaster

Need Long Term Herceptin Use Info

We have a request from a large research facility for info on long term Herceptin use. They would like information from patients who have been on continuous Herceptin for over 3 years. (Since June 2004.)

Have you suffered any side effects which your oncologist said was due to long term use of Herceptin?

Please respond with your first date of treatment and any long term side effects, if any.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
Christine
Founder - HER2 Support Group

Christine Started August 1999, No long term effects.

Hugs
Christine
HER2 3+++, er- pr-
AC, Taxol, Herceptin, Gamma Knife (3 treatments) WBR
NED July 2001
December 2001 - Founded HER2 Support Group
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:01 AM   #3
sarah

since march 2004

Sarah started with Herceptin and Taxol in March 2004 and still gets Herceptin every 3 weeks. Muga test is good and consistent. Off and on itchy skin rash that started during initial chemo and Herceptin treatment and still comes and goes.
Hope to stay on it as long as I'm getting AIs but in August will get a new review and I'm afraid the high price will become a factor as well as concerns for the heart even though no problems are showing up so far.
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
StephN

Wink Long term for me

Dear Joe -

As you know, Herceptin has been a marvelous drug for me in keeping my aggressive cancer at bay.

Began Herceptin weekly in combination with Taxol & Navelbine early January of 2002. Achieved NED in July of 2002 and stayed on Herceptin on the 3-week dose since that time.

Only effects I notice are some extra fatigue the evening and day after my infusion. Mild runny nose, but not constant. Can't attribute any other side effects to Herceptin as I had so much chemo and feel most other problems like the leg cramps are due to damage from taxanes.

My MUGA has remained stable and I have another in 2 weeks.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
Ann in Boston

I have Inflammatory Breast Cancer.

I have been on Herceptin since August 2002.

August 2002 to June 2003 Herceptin alone every 3 weeks.
Recurrence under Tram Flap reconstruction

June 2003 to June 2004 Herceptin + Navelbine 3 weeks on and 1 week off for both.

June 2004 to October 2006 Herceptin + Navelbine every other week.
Dropped Navelbine due to neuropathy in hands and feet.

October 2006 to present Herceptin alone every 3 weeks.

Minor side effects - very bad fingernails (soft & tear very easily)
very bad dry eyes
had one episode of sinusitus 3 years ago and nose is
little drippy
minor fatigue
My MUGA is the same as the day I started Herceptin
Ann in Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
Esther

I started Herceptin in Jan 2004, continued until April 2007, when I changed to Tykerb/Xeloda.

Only side effect I can see is my nails are thin and break easily. MUGA after over 3 years on Herceptin was still 75%.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
Sheila

Joe
I have been on Herceptin Continually since 2003. The only side effects I have had are weight gain runny nose and watery eyes. I do think my nails are more brittle. So far no problems....just need to keep adding different chemos, but Herceptin has kept my BC in the neck nodes and nowhere else for 4 years .

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Kim in CA

Joe,

I've been on Herceptin nonstop, with and without chemo since Oct. 2001. Generally I feel great. I do have paper thin, splitting nails and very sparse eyelashes and brows. Not sure if this is the Herceptin or the cumulative effects of all the chemos in the past. I'm not complaining though!

Kim in CA

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Thumbs up Longterm Herceptin Poster Child

Hi Joe!

Metastic bc in Aug '98 -- Taxotere Sept through May '99.
Added Herceptin November '98 and have been on steadily ever since. Keeps me NED I believe.
Did weekly through to Jan '01 when I decided it was safe to switch
to triple the dosage every 3 weeks. Great relief in the plan!
Receive infusion w/500 cc's saline over 1/2 hr, double saline flush
+ helplock.
Given w/chemo nurse in mask and gloves, using betadyne to clean the
area -- through port.

Slightly runny nose.
Very dry eyes.
Thin, splitting nails.
Slight redness to declotee area and inner arms above elbows. Don't know
what this is from, but does NOT itch.
Bruise easily and don't heal quickly. Again don't know what this is from.
Fatigue, but controlled with supplements.
Flagging red blood cell count that responds well to Aranesp. Called
"chemo-induced anemia". Can't really say why. When HGB low for
me, I haven't got the energy to get dressed, but do, then rest.
Then GO...

Am grateful with each day for the opportunity to whine a bit about the above side effects. See each day as a wondrous gift! Am profoundly appreciative for this medicine that is keeping me alive and well for the most part!!

Andrea
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #10
Lolly

I was on Herceptin from January 2001 until April of 2007. I stopped Herceptin due to progression; although still just fighting stubborn lymph nodes, more are now involved so have moved onto Tykerb.
No long term side effects that could be attributed directly to Herceptin except symptomless low LVEF. My first Echo in 2002 was at 65%. Over time it gradually dropped. My Muga in June 2006 was 49%. My Echo just last month, after 2 months off Herceptin, was 65%.
A great drug for me for many years!

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
Joe
Webmaster

moving it to the top.

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #12
kareneg

I have been on Herceptin since January 2002. With no side effects at all. Last muga scan was great and will be redoing it again July 30th.

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
2001 exstensive liver mets and mets to lungs
Started weekly taxol
Jan 2002 found out I was strongly HER2POS+++ started herceptin continued with taxol and herceptin till June 2002 then from June 2002 till Jan 2005 just herceptin and Arimidex
2005 Navelbine herceptin had RFA Then back on taxol with herceptin
April 2006 progression again went on clinical trial with tykrerb/herceptin progressed on the started Xeloda/ herceptin
Feb 2007 started Doxil
August 2007 Taxotere,Carboplatin and Herceptin exstensive mets to liver and pancreas
October 2007 Had to stop Carboplatin due to sever allergic reaction
Jan 2008
Stopped Taxotere due to progression now on Gemzar and Herceptin
March 2008 Starting Carboplatin, Abraxane, and Herceptin.
kareneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #13
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Andrea P.s.

I had a MUGA before Herceptin ('98) and ECHOs every 6 months thereafter. As of Feb. '06 Dr. Pegram said he believed if I was going to have a heart problem it would have showed by then, so he graduated me to annual ECHOs. I am due in Aug. Anxious to see what it shows EF-wise. Will let you know.

Also, was thinking -- after Taxotere (Sep '98 through to end of May '99)
-- and 2nd baldness, my hair grew back way thinner, and fried. My hair line (widow's peak and all) never came back. Just some fuzz. Hair at top of head remains like hay, permanently damaged (as I hope all cancer cells are/annihilated).

My eyebrows never grew back that second time. My eyelashes barely grew back, went from thick and long to sparse.

Was this all from Taxotere and/or Herceptin? Don't really know. Just reporting, for consideration...

ANDREAD
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #14
sally

I started Herceptin in June of 2004. I have been on it every three weeks since. I have very brittle nails, insomnia, dry eyes and itchy dry skin. I know that menopause can also cause all of these things. I do have a constant runny nose which I beleive is the Herceptin for sure. Sally
sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #15
Barbara

Long Term Herceptin

Hi:

I started on Herceptin in June 2004 and remain on a every three week schedule. My muga scans have remained stable between 63 and 65. I just had a muga today and don't have the results yet. Outside of mucus plugs in my bronchial tubes and sinuses, brittle nails and muscle cramps, I had had no continous side affects. I do get a mild headache that lasts three or four days and do retain fluid for about 24 hours after the infusion. (I have been anemic which the oncologist now believes might be a side affect of Herceptin and my white count is low between 2.9 and 3.9 which may be a side affect. Both were normal before my treatments.)

Barbara
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:47 AM   #16
kim

I started herceptin with chemo Dec 2003. Been on herceptin alone since April 2004.
No major side effects. I often feel sort of funky the day of tx.

Minor things I assume are frome the herceptin- watery eyes, thin splitting nails, thin eye lashes and brows.

Kim
kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #17
kk1

I have been on Herceptin every 3 weeks since April of 2004.
side effects are very minor and short term:
~4 hours after treatment I feel extremely tired, but after a good night sleep of about 9-10hours I wake to feel completely normal and rested. approximately 48 hours after infusion I have a slight running nose and itchy eyes which last 1-2 days. My nails are extremely soft so I have to keep them clipped very short or they rip, but that seems to be the only long lasting side effect. I have echo's every 12-14 weeks and so far they remain normal.

KK1
DX stage IV age 45 March 2004
2 cm breast with 2 mets to liver (her2+,er+/pr+)
May 2004-sept 2004 weekly herceptin, taxotere, xeloda , NED sept 2004
Oct 2004 left masectomy
October 2004 Dec. 2006 Herceptin 3 week +aromasin +zoladex ovarian suppression- no progression and NED for just short of 3 years.
Was considering stopping long term use of herceptin when....
December 2006 regrowth of 1 tumor in same exact location in liver
Jan 2006- liver resection left lobe removed
(pathology of removed lobe contained only the single met)
Feb 2007-present continue 3 week herceptin + zladex and switched to Arimidex.
kk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #18
Kathy T

Hi Joe,
I have been on Herceptin since early 2003, No major side effects--fatigue and thin splitting nails.
Kathy T
Kathy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #19
Edie L

Long Term Herceptin Use

I have been on Herceptin and chemo non-stop since January 2004 after being diagnosed with BC Stage 4/mets to liver. I have had no side effects from Herceptin, few side effects from chemo, and my disease is stable at this this time.
Edie L.
Edie L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:14 PM   #20
Gina

Thumbs up One BIG long-term effect....

I am STILL ALIVE...smile.

Been taking it since spring of 1999. Certainly one of the most effective drugs ever made.

Warm regards,
Gina
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote