HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 10-02-2006, 06:25 AM   #101
MJo

My nails are breaking after seven Herc. triples. I also have pain in both little fingers and my ankles and feet -- extremities. In fact, sometimes the little fingers fell like they are going to pop out of their sockets. My last exam, the nurse practicioner wrote this down. She says she tries to collect symptoms.

But here is an experience that reminded me that Herceptin is not like taking aspirin, which is how some oncology nurses and some oncs seem to treat it. I had a very busy week at work last week -- the major annual fundraising dance and silent auction for my social services agency. I'm very involved with planning. I also had Herceptin Wednesday. Usually when I have Herceptin I take it very easy for a few days -- leave work early, lie down a lot at home. This time I told myself, "OK, if Herceptin is as side effect free as I'm told, let's try full speed ahead." Ended up with cold, fever, exhaustion, coughing, etc. In fact, I felt as sick as I felt when I got chemo. Possibly my blood count went down and made me susceptible to germs. Who knows? From now on I will be very careful when I get Herceptin.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:58 PM   #102
Her2nSue

forgot to give my side affects from herceptin, which I have been on alone since end of April. Between herceptin and femara I experience memory loss, I lose things constantly and can't seem to relocate them, my hearing is not as sharp as before. Constant small joint aches, at times my fingers belong to someone else. Can't seem to do buttons, I get pretty fumbly. Fingers are extremely swollen in the mornings. Seems that the opposite hand (the right one) of the mastectomy is the one that seems more sensitive with the pain. Joint knuckles so bad I can't wear any of my rings on the right ring finger. I don't seem to have any swelling in my feet, ankles or toes which to me seems strange when your fingers feel so bloated. My weight also has gone up some. My thigh muscles hurt tremendously when going up or down stairs and found out last evening, also with dancing. As for body fatigue, has it been known to be any other way BUT tired, like you hadn't slept for days. I guess, it's still better than the alternative, still it can get you down having body, mind, hearing of an 110 year old. Just try to keep the humor up it does help.

Sue
Her2nSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:27 PM   #103
panicked911

herceptain side effects real or peceived

God, sue you sound like me. I am on arimidex instead of femera and also lupron which doesn;y help. I am curious about one thing ladies... does it make a difference in terms of severity of side effects whe you are on the once weekly or the triple dose of herceptain AND whe did the side effects start- how lig ito treatment.
I was on weekly from end of November 05 thru April - was handling it alright even thru rads util I took levaquin for a sinus infection - stopped that and went onto to triple dose and that is when the knees, thighs, fingers, elbows, shoulders really started aching swelling in fingers is relatively recent- memory loss- can't recall ( no joke).. 2 doses left --hopig some at least will go back.
any thoughts?

Susanne
panicked911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:23 PM   #104
geraldine

Smile

Hi Lani,

12th dec marks my 3rd year on Herceptin.. 2.5 yrs Herceptin only.

I was dx in 2001 after finding a lump on my left breast.. grade3...18/24 node pos. Had mastectomy followed by various chemo+ clinical trial + rads.

I was dx in 2003 with secondary b/c on the chest wall, same side and it was only then that I was told about Herceptin and that I met the criteria.

I have terrible itching on various parts of my body, especially on the scar. I suffer from sinus problems, weight gain, small ulcers on my tongue, eye sight deteriating ( my optician say my reading sight has not changed in 2 yrs but my distance has changed drastically, poor nails (allways pealing and breaking) and lately I have suffered severe cramping in my legs. I dont have headaches except for about 2-3 hrs after treatment. Last week I had the strangest feeling in my chest, just like a hundred needles stabbing. It only lasted about 10 secs. I will be going for an echo on fri, so hopefully I will find out, the reason..

I receive Herceptin every 3 weeks over a 1 hour infusion.

Hey I forgot to mention how scatty my brain is at times (this is an example) but I was putting that down to age (55 in jan)

Geraldine
geraldine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #105
lucky4x

Geraldine...

Geraldine.

I was so happy to hear that you continue on Herceptin for 3 years. ( I know that sounds weird, but it gave me hope).

Leg cramps... I was told to increase my magnesium by taking mag/calcium vitamin and a multi vitamin with magnesium also. It has helped the cramps. I still get little ones in the mornings, but not the ones where you spring out of bed and try to shake or walk them off! Someone else told me she put a bar of natural soap in her bed by her feet... and it took care of the cramps for some strange reason! Worth a try.

The itching under arm on one of my scars is enough to send me through the roof! Funny... I never thought it might be Hercpetin...but ya, maybe it is!

I am also on one hour IV every 3 weeks. ( Going this Friday for onc checkup and chest xray and syma results and treatment).

Lucky
Old 10-08-2006, 02:28 AM   #106
ninness@ns.sympatico.ca

Side Effects

Have been reading with interest the many side effects from Herceptin. I have had most all of them. I finished Herceptin treatments two weeks ago and am looking forward to feeling better. My Muga scan has gone down to 48 so am very fatigued all the time. I did have leg cramps at night but believe it or not I put a bar of soap between the sheet and mattress and I have not had a leg cramp at night since then. It is an old wives tale but many people have found that it works (actually found a testimonial to this on the internet). I used Ivory soap but any plain type of soap would work fine. Hope this will help some of you who have leg cramps at night. Believe it or not it does work!

-Nina
ninness@ns.sympatico.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:17 AM   #107
Carol E

Hi,

Just wanted to say that I also had bad cramps (feet and legs) tried the bar of soap a couple of weeks ago, my Mom suggested it from a friend, and I have not had one cramp in my feet or legs!! Also, if you have trouble with constipation, I tried a tea called Smooth Move, love the name, anyway it really works, it comes in fruit flavors, (didn't like the taste) and chocolate, (the best). Hope this helps someone.
Smile a mile,
Carol E
Carol E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:07 AM   #108
Her2nSue

appreciative heart

Just browing over the latest posts and wanted to put in my 2 cents worth of what a great thing we ladies have here with all the information everyone puts out on what works and what doesn't and what other things to try to make our lives with cancer and it's aftermath a bit more easier and to realize that we are not alone or imagining our symptoms. They are real and we are not hypochondriacs, nor do we deserve the strange looks when we try to discuss our symptoms to the Oncologists and then get a brush off. They really should be involved in this site, so that they would have a better understanding of their patients. Just expressing my opinions while my mind is staying in one place at the moment. Thank you ladies for all that you do with your support, information, humor and just helping the rest of us get through the days.

Sue
Her2nSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #109
dskdrive

I Had The Same Reaction. I Am Stage 2 With No Mets That I Know Of. They Gave Me Benedryl And Tylenol And I Settled Down And Was Able To Finish The Infusion. I Have Now Finished One Year Of Herceptin And Have Been Cancer Free For Over Two Years Now.
dskdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:46 PM   #110
tousled1

I am on Herceptin only and I experience the following:

1. trouble concentrating and trouble with short term memory also trouble with finding words - I know what I want to say but sometimes the word just won't come out or the words come out mixed up and sometimes backward
2. severe joint pain - sometimes when I get up in the morning it feels like my bones are just going to snap
3. dry, brittle, peeling nails
4. fatigue (low blood counts)
5. continuous runny nose
6. slight headache (was sent for a brain MRI -everything ok)
7. itching - various parts of the body
8. deteriorating eyesight
9. hearing loss
10. insomnia
11. weight gain

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I know some people may say the eyesight and hearing loss may be age related but I totally disagree. I didn't have any problems before starting Herceptin. Overall, I would have to say that Herceptin and I do not get along. Since on Herceptin my entire life has changed -- I'm not able to to the things I normally did. I started out on the 3 week cycle and thought if I went every week it wouldn't hit me so hard so I started every week. I could tell you how I would feel each day -- the only time I felt almost normal was the day before my treatment. Now I have switched back to every 3 weeks in the hopes that I will have more than one good day a week. Had my first 3 week dose 2 weeks ago so I go back next week. So far, I don't notice that it's any better than weekly but I'm going to give it a chance. I just want to feel somewhat "normal" and be able to have the energy to do things.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:25 PM   #111
Marilyn

I've been taking Herceptin since July of 2001. When I began Herceptin I was also taking Taxotere and Zometa. I took this combination each week for 6 months and continued the Herceptin and Zometa weekly for 2 1/2 more years. Since that time I've taken Herceptin and Zometa every three weeks. I lost quite a bit of hair, my eyelashes and eyebrows during the 6 months of chemo. To this day my eyebrows, eyelashes, and hair have not come back. I have contacted Genentech about this and they have called and talked to me about it.

As far as other side effects I do have watery eyes and on the day of the infusion I am a little more tired and occasionally I have a headache that day. Otherwise I really don't have any complaints.
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:48 AM   #112
Kimberly Lewis

Smile herceptin reactions waning even on regular dosing

I love that we are posting these effects. It is such a comfort to know that I am not a hypochondriac (hopefully!) I am er/pr+ Her2 weakly positive, stage 3a, 7 nodes. diagnosed 5/05.
My side effects and if they lasted were;

1. Bloody, crusty noses. Almost completely gone now after 11 months on H.
2. Lack of mental clarity, forgetfulness. Worse than ever! I have a 70something friend and we compete for how many times during a conversation we forget what we are saying!
3. Rib pain, now gone..
4. achey feet and legs in early morning, late evening still...
5. rediculously peely soft nails still!
6. Tendancy to infections - difficulty shaking them even with high doses of antibiotics! Just had LAVH and my navel got infected from incision, 6 weeks out still yucky. Got a yeast infection that also is still there!!!
Anyone with that effect and possible help for immune system please write...
7. Most bothersome - breathing problems. When I was first infused the premeds made me very sleepy, every time I fell asleep the oxygen sensor beeped like crazy and they kept telling me to breathe. Same thing when I had all my surgeries.. like when I fell asleep I didn't breathe properly. I sense it when I am difting off now because I hear my blood roaring in my ears - I take a few deep breaths and it stops. Even during the day now I feel my heart start struggling and I take a few deep breaths and it stops. Now how is that for weird?
8. Herceptin emotional addiction! Once my Oncologist told me my year was up I went into a tailspin emotionally. Felt I was just not prepared to face life without my security blanket. Really funny thing was that Genetec gave out blankets w/Herceptin printed on them. I guess I will have to wrap up in that and get through this! No more tears now - I am facing a move and lots to do!
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:52 AM   #113
Mary Jo

Maybe it's too early to post here yet as I only finished herceptin 9 days ago. (October 11, 2006) Naturally, side effects wouldn't be over yet as I received my infusions every 3 weeks. So, I'll have to wait a while. However, I can say that for the most part herceptin and I got a long real well. I only had one MUGA scan at the 4 month mark as my oncologist said "toxicity normally occurs within the first 4 months." At that time my MUGA was favorable so was told I could continue. They watched me for symptoms and I never had another MUGA. I exercised throughout (2 - two mile powerwalks per day) wih no problems whatsoever. The only side effects I can report are some diarehhea - gas - and left rib/side pain. From reading other people's posts I see that the left rib/side pain is pretty typcial. There must be receptors over there huh? Well, whatever, I'm not complaining. I pray it helped me and that I will be disease free forever. (as we all do)

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #114
Jennid1

Kate, I have all the same side effects as you and add lower back and hip pain. I also experience chills for about a week afterwards. I have been on Herceptin since 7/06. I also tried the weekly and went back to the every 3 weeks just to try and get a few days of feeling "Normal".

I thank God for these message boards because my oncologist keeps telling me that herceptin has no side effect.
Jennid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #115
tousled1

Jennid,

When I told my oncologist about my side effects she said "you shouldn't have any side effects with Herceptin." I told her she was wrong and that she should come to this site and check out all the side effects that are being raised. I too have lower back pain but I contribute it to my spinal fusion. Although since I started Herceptin I had to go back to my pain management doctor.
14 of 26 nodes positive
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
Old 10-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #116
Marily

Congestive Heart Failure

Hello Vickismom, hope I got that right??
I went into Congestive Heart Failure and went down to 21%. My cardiologist put me on medications and we gave it a rest with the Herceptin for about 8 weeks. We redid the muga and they watched and worked on my medication to correct the hearts problems. I now take 50mg Coreg twice a day (strengthens the heart) I was on Digitalis to help the heart pump better but off that now. I take Diovan and Furosamide which take out the excess fluid so the heart does not have to work so hard. I am doing fine and this last muga I was back up to 60% but it has taken me a couple years to achieve that. I was carefully watched on the Herceptin by my cardiologist and am doing fine now. during that time they also found I had sleep apnea, so I have a cpap machine and oxygen throughout the night. I seem to be walking and breathing fine. Get a good cardiologist on your team.. it makes all the difference in the world.
Hugs and good luck,
Marily
oh and I was on Herceptin about 31/2 years when this happened so watch carefully it does not always show dammage at an early time!
Marily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:06 AM   #117
elcalabrese

side effects

Glad to find out I am not crazy

I have been on Herceptin for 4 1/2 yrs.
Side effects.
Finger nails split and thin.
Finger tips cracked (I now wear fake nails to protect them).
Toe nail fungus.
Can't sleep
Medicinal "smell"
Runny nose especially when I eat something
Horribly dry eyes
Vision problems especially after treatment
Memory issues
Trouble speaking - forgetting words or completely drawing a blank. Also using wrong words or thinking one thing and saying something completely different.
Muscle and bone pain
Bloating and weight gain
Digestion problems
Congestion
ringing in ears
Prone to stomach and sinus disorders
And now my hands and feet are peeling. They burn and itch and even slightly warm water feels like it's scalding hot.
el
elcalabrese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:03 AM   #118
bobbiw

Oh boy elcalabrese does that sound like me! I am very happy for the Herceptin and will certainly put up with the side affects dont get me wrong. But in my case it seems that it has also disrupted my ability to find gainful employment due to the cognitive stuff that I seem to have going on. I cant even imagine trying to learn a new skill these days or multi tasking or working in a fast paced environment. The madening part for me is that possible side affects such as these dont seem to be recognized by the medical community. AND if you are stage IIb and doing well physically, SS disability does not recognize the difficulties either.
Well one day at a time one foot ahead of the other huh.
Bobbi
bobbiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #119
tousled1

Moving this up

Since we have so many new members, I am taking the liberty of moving this thread up. I'm sure that the "newbies" might find it helpful.
14 of 26 nodes positive
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Old 12-12-2006, 10:12 PM   #120
Doris

Hi,

I've been on Herceptin alone since April 2006. At first it was weekly; then I switched to every 3 weeks. My symptoms are as follows:
- Diarrhea
- Joint pain, particularly in my hip. (I actually have lots of joint and muscle pain throughout my body! But since I have arthritis, it's hard to say what is due to the Herceptin. The hip pain began after Herceptin was started.)
- Fingernails that split and shred
- Intermittent dull headaches
- Increasing problems with finding the right word and with thinking clearly
- Runny eyes
I was diagnosed 12/05 with Stage IIIA, Her++, ER negative, cancer found in 4 lymph nodes. I had 6 wks of chemotherapy and 6 wks of radiation.
Doris is offline   Reply With Quote