HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
holly422

Questions about Xeloda, AGAIN

Hello. This is my second round of Xeloda and I am experiencing some rectal bleeding. No external hemmroids seen so maybe some internal but my stomach has been hurting in a way that it has never hurt before. I'm wondering if it could be a bleeding ulcer. I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything like this before with the Xeloda. It started with the Xeloda. I'm just looking for some input before I go see the doctor on Monday to schedule a colonoscopy. Thank you all very much.

Oh, by the way, can anyone tell me how to put all of the information after my name (for example, surgeries, treatments, et al.) and to have it every time I sign my name? I am new to this and can't figure it out.

Holly
holly422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Lolly

Holly, I just saw your question. Did you get some help from your doctor with this? I've had Xeloda in the past but didn't have the symptoms you're describing, it's certainly something to talk over with your doctor.
Hope you're doing well,
<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:51 AM   #3
Sandy H

Holly, I would call the doctor ASAP. Are you taking the xeloda with plenty of food?? Very important so I was told. This can be very harsh on the stomach. Wishing you well and keep us updated. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
hutchibk

Holly - Are you taking it with taxotere? or any other cancer meds? or any other types of meds? Could be a reaction. Call your doctor (even if it is the weekend!), because these sound like severe side effects.

the most important things to know about Xeloda:

(these are in my literature about Xeloda)
*take it within 30 minutes of eating a meal
*tell you doc if you have kidney or liver problems
*Xeloda increases the effects of Coumadin (warfarin) blood thinner!! Beware!
*don't take Vitamins with Folic Acid
*drink lots of water

side effects can be:
*diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, throat and mouth sores, abdominal pain, upset stomach, constipation, loss of appetite, too much water loss (dehydration),hand/foot syndrome, fatigue and weakness, dizziness, headache, fever, pain in chest, back, joints and muscles, trouble sleeping, taste problems.

Stop taking it immediately and contact your doctor right away if:
*Diarrhea at night or 4 additional bowel movements beyond what is normal for you.
*you vomit more than once in 24 hours.
*you are nauseaus and lose your appetite, eating a lot less food than normal.
*you have pain or swelling in your mouth.
*you show severe signs of hand/foot syndrome
*you have a fever of 100.5 or greater or show signs of infection.

I think the most important thing to make sure of is that you are taking it with food, (within 30 min of eating) and drinking LOTS of water all day. Your dosage can be adjusted, so please tell your oncologist. It might be that you just need a smaller dose. Chemo drugs can dry out the normal tissues in our body, which can cause the stomach linings and intestinal linings, etc to become much more sensitive. If you have had diarrhea and/or constipation, that can irritate the linings along the way and cause bleeding, I think. I am not a doctor. Just one person's take on things. You really need to call your doc. Someone will be on call over the weekend and will tell you what to do.

Best of luck!

(oh, and to insert your signature/info at the bottom of your posts, go up to the menu bar and click on User CP - then on the left menu, click on Edit Signature. Start typing what you want, then highlight it and change the font, size, color, etc), and save changes.)

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote