HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2006, 08:14 AM   #1
CherylS

Arimidex to Femara question

Due to severe joint and muscle pain, my onc. wants to switch me from Arimidex to Femara. I'm fine with this, but she wants me to stop taking the Arimidex for one month first. I am hesitant to do this. Has anyone else made this switch and if so did you have to take the month break in between? Also, is it better with Femara? Thank you!
Old 05-31-2006, 08:42 AM   #2
Montana

I switched from Arimidex to Femara because of severe hand pain and didn't notice any difference. I've since gone back to Arimidex. After 1 year on the Arimidex, either I'm getting used to the pain, or it has gotten a little better.
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
sally

I have been on Femara for about a year and a half . I have bone muscle and joint pain. I always get a sharp stab in the back. It feels like bone rubbing together. I know there are many things contributing. I am 38 years old and had my ovaries removed last year. Being pushed through menopause so quickly can cause bone and joint pain. I don't eat as healthy as I should and I know I don't drink nearly enough which helps lubricate the joints. I don't know if any of this helps. I hope your pain gets better. I feel like I'm aging so fast. I guess it's better than the alternative. Have a great day. Sally
sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #4
Her2nSue

Unhappy arimadex or femara

I've been on femara since the start of the once every 3 weeks of herceptin deal. I've had so much joint pain since my 2nd infusion, esp. in my thumbs, now has increased to my wrists. If I sit too long, I'm as stiff as a board. Sometimes going down stairs, I don't feel confident with my leg muscles as they feel so stiff and strange. I mentioned this to the onc and he had prescribed celebrex. It has seemed to help, but the fingers still feel swollen and stiff. I had never given it a thought it was from the femara, I had figured it was just from continuing with the herceptin.

glad I read your posts.

Sue
Her2nSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
lisahammo

Hi Cheryl

Before making the switch, have you tried taking Glucosamine & Fish Oil to help with the pain? I am also on Arimidex, and had bad pain in my feet and fingers, however once I started on the Glucosamine, it settled down. I am having chemo again now, and thought it might flare up again, but it hasn't. We are also having a very cold snap here in Melbourne, Australia, and again, I haven't had any pain. Might be worth considering. I did have to wait about 6 weeks before it kicked in though.

Take care.

Love Lisa
lisahammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
Susan Rankin

Question Arimidex to Femara

Hi,

I also recently switched from Arimidex to Femara. I have been on the Femara for about three weeks and I have not had any improvement in my joint pain, stiffness, etc. I am thinking about going back to the Arimidex. My hot flashes are more severe on the Femara.

Susan
Susan Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:12 AM   #7
CherylS

Pain meds and other relief?

First, thank you for your responses thus far. It is at least good to know you're not alone. Sue, your comment about going down stairs really hit home. Lisa, my onc told me to take L-Glutamine, not glucosamine. I wonder if that is what she meant. I do take fish oil.

My question is this. She has been perscribing vicodin for the pain as well. It really does help. I can't take it in the morning usually because it makes me a little sleepy, but if I hold off until mid to late afternoon I'm OK, even better. I end up taking 2-3 per day. The maximum doseage is 8 per day, but like everything else, this makes me worry "Can this cause cancer?" I don't think she would perscribe something harmful, but I can't help but worry about something I take almost every day. The only side effect I seem to have from it is an irritated bladder. I would love input from you all.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #8
Roz

Smile

I agree with Lisa in Melbourne. Since I started taking thefish oil, my early morning stiffness, esp my feet!! and my thumb stiffness have gone away. As these side effects are for me the worse thing about Arimidex it was wonderful to find something that is both good for you in lots of ways and relieved my arthritic symptoms.
Roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #9
CherylS

I've been taking fish oil all along and don't get any relief, or at least I would hate to think what I would be like without it! I've always been a little stiff anyway, but I don't have any arthritis. I guess we all respond differently.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
Her2nSue

Cool

Hi again,

I had been taking L-Glutomine (sp?) and flaxseed gel tablets (2x a day) even before all the sore joints, when I was on chemo with taxol. They did prevent me from having any neuropathy in fingers and toes, but wasn't doing a thing for all the new joint pain. I saw the onc yesterday and honestly, I'm not sure if these guys really have all their facts about the side affects of these drugs. I told him the celebrex is helping to deal with pain and stiffness, but doesn't make it go away. He tells me that he believes the small joint pains are probably from Herceptin because with femara it affects the larger muscle masses usually. Helllloooooo....from what I've been reading from everyone and Cheryl, we all have a combination of these symptoms and pain now that we are on triple dose of Herceptin every 3 weeks. Why didn't we experience any swollen fingers, thumb joint aches, wrist aches, stiff leg muscles back when we were taking Herceptin along with taxol or other drug? Hmmm??? They may be doctors, but ya know, sometimes we know more about what's going on then they do. Thanks for listening, I'm so glad to have this site to see how everyone else is doing and realize I am NOT alone with my symptoms.
Sue

Last edited by Her2nSue; 06-10-2006 at 08:26 PM..
Her2nSue is offline   Reply With Quote