HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
RhondaH

Question Coq10

I want to talk to my oncologist about taking COQ10, but when shopping today I found it in 50, 150, 200 mg and was wondering what is the BEST (not too much and not too little) dosage to take? Thank you for your input.

Rhonda Hoffman
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
BonnieT

Hello
I just asked my cardiologist about this and he said you have to be careful when you are taking heart meds. not to take too much. The signs to watch for are if you get lightheaded easy or start fainting , then you are on too much. He did not really want me to take coq10 since I am on Coreg. and lisinopril for my heart, he said that they do not have studies showing what possible side effects could be if you take it with these meds. But that it was my choice. I know that there are alot of people on this board that take it and have no problems with it.
Good Luck
BonnieT
BonnieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 01:06 PM   #3
Becky

Rhonda

I take 300mg of Co Q10 per day (but I am only on Herceptin and not chemo as well). I started off slowly with 50mg per day for several days (taking the pill with breakfast). After a week I added another 50mg pill (taking the second one with lunch). After another week, I added the third pill with dinner. Week 4 - 100mg breakfast, 50 mg lunch, 50 mg dinner. I think you get what I did. I did read somewhere that you should work up slow and work down slow and not take alot near bedtime because it can keep you up. My dose now is 150mg for breakfast, 100 mg at lunch and 50mg for dinner.

I hope this helps. I started Co Q 10 right after my muga to start herceptin. My muga was 70 and after 3 months my second muga was 65. My onco says this is really the same number or not much difference. I don't know if it is the CoQ 10 or that's just how it was going to be. I walk and work out a lot though.

Have a nice weekend

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
al from Canada

Rhonda,

I would take 150 mg when on chemo and 300 when NOT on chemo.
Regards,
Al