HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-18-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
*_lu ann_*

I will be resuming treatment at University Hospital next month with Dr. Paula Silverman. It is hard to leave the current practice, but I know I need to, as I have been having anticipatory nausea every time I step into the building from the familiar smell. My current Doc. is great and doesn't have a big ego. I plan to ask him if he would be my Doc. again if I should go into hospice.

The plan is for me to have hercepton, and gemsar every other week with zometa monthly. The hope is that I will not have to get the growth factor for the WBC. My CA-15-3 has gone down to 51 from 59 since going off treatment. Bone mets and mediastynym mets are stable, with no new tumors. She is also thinking about clinical trials, possibly labatnik.

I will be having a full spine MRI as I have been having tingling and numbness in my back and left arm. I have a compression fracture at T-9 caused by the cancer. The test will take 3 hours and I'm freaking out. My husband is calling the Doc. today to let them know of my anxiety. I think they can give me an IV to knock me out. Has anyone experienced long MRI's who are claustriphobic?

This time off from treatment has been great. My husband and I are doing allot of hiking to get ready for our vaction Aug.1-5th. We have rented a cabin in Hocking Hills to celebrate our 24th anniversary. I can't wait. We have never taken a vacation without our children.

Any advice would be aprreciated regarding treatment or MRI.

Blessings to all, Lu ann
Old 07-18-2005, 07:31 PM   #2
Audrey

Hi Lu ann, sorry to hear you have to leave your current treatment facility due to the anticipatory nausea, but I have a few friends who have Dr. Silverman as their onc. and they speak very highly of her...I haven't heard of such a long MRI procedure, but is it possible for you to bring in music/headphones and listen to you favorite music during the procedure? I also heard that certain scents can promote relaxation--such as peppermint and lavendar...finally, I know you've been to the Gathering Place, have you checked out any of Belleruth Naparstak's relaxation tapes? I've listened to a few and found them to be very helpful in reducing my anxiety. Of course, you might want to ask your doctor for a mild anxiety medication, something like Xanax? to take before the procedure. I hope this if helpful, and wish you the best of luck --let us know how everything goes, we will be thinking of you...--Audrey
Old 07-19-2005, 04:39 AM   #3
Lyn

Hi there, I fractured my shoulder 2 years back and it wasn't detected for 3 months and only showed up on MRI, this resulted in the blood supply to the bone dieing and my humeral head collapsed on my shoulder, I have numbness, tingling and loss of movement as well, I do not have any bone mets. When I have a MRI they place a blind fold on me and a breeze blowing on my face, I have had head phones with music but it depends on the machine if it can be heard over the noise. Hope this helps

Love Z& Hugs Lyn
Old 07-19-2005, 05:35 AM   #4
*_Cathy_*

Dear LuAnn- I once started a petscan and I had a panic attack. They scanned my head and then I said 'Get me out of here!" They had to reschedule me for the following week and my doctor gave me medication that relaxed me. I forget the name but it was like valium and it really worked. ( it was two pills) Every time I get a long test like that in one of those machines, I will take it again. Tell your doctor and he will help you!I won't go in there again without the medicine. God Bless You- Cathy
Old 07-19-2005, 06:15 AM   #5
Kathy

Hi LuAnn,
Are you going to OSU University hospitals or Cleveland clinics. I am interested in Lapatinib also. Have a wonderful visit at Hocking Hills--it will be beautiful!
Kathy
Old 07-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
MarianneWA

re. the MRI - I just had my 3rd annual breast MRI yesterday, and as I get frreaky too, I had my usual 2 lorazepam. BUt, I hate the way they make me feel (woozy, heavy-headed for at least 24 hours). So, after speaking to the MRI nurse, she said that they have about 4 "slots" per week where they schedule iv sedation (she called it amnesia sedation - I would be able to answer them, but wouldn't remember anything much), and when you're done, they take the iv out and you're fine. So next year that's what I'm signing up for!

Marianne
Old 07-21-2005, 09:58 AM   #7
*_lu ann_*

Thanks for all of your replies. I will be having the MRI at University Hospital in Cleveland, Ohio. I will be put under with an IV, probably much like Marrianne stated in her reply. Chemo resumes August 15th after three wonderful months off treatment. I am much stronger both mentally and physically going into this time. My husband and I are walking evenings and having a great time with each other. I can't wait till our second honeymoon at Hocking Hills! Blessings to all, Love Lu Ann.