HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2004, 11:49 AM   #1
Martin

My wife just had a lumpectomy. 1.4 centimeters. Nodes were negative. Tumor was HER pos 3+. Oncologist wants to do the standard chemo treatment. No Herceptin because of possible side effects. Dr. stated that the side effect risk is greater than the risk of reacurrence of the cancer. I don't know. Have any of you been there and done that?
Thanks.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
Martin

Addendum:
My wife will be taking A/C chemo and radiation. She had clear margins. What I meant by ""been there and done that"" was has anyone NOT done Herceptin with a HER 3+ pos. and did just the standard chemo and radiation and had long term success? I know from reading your stories that you all have ""been there and done that"" in one way or another. Thank you for this message board."
Old 02-26-2004, 12:15 PM   #3
Lisa

I think your doc's concern is because she's also taking Adryomycin. That and Herceptin together can have bad heart side effects. There are however other chemos that do not. I for example am taking Navelbine and Herceptin. There are others too.

Martin may I suggest you move your messages to the Main Message Board. You'll get more readers " I think.

Let us know what happens. This is a terrific support group. We'd love to ""talk"" to your wife" too. In addition on Saturday mornings at noon EST there is a Men's Chat moderated by the husband of a BC patient. You might find it helpful.

Love and light

Lisa
Old 02-26-2004, 12:23 PM   #4
Janelle

Martin
just sent you an email... hope you find the answers you are seeking.

Hugs
janelle
Old 03-01-2004, 01:17 AM   #5
Carol

4 years ago when I started down this path Herceptin was not offered as a fist line chemo only when I had a recurrence in 2002 and again now. I've been on Herceptin for 2 years; without it I'm sure my disease would be much worse. I think you need to seek a 2nd oopinion. Carol
Old 03-01-2004, 02:11 PM   #6
Bevie

Hi Martin I was DX 11/00 1.5cm HER2+ neg nodes. I had lumpectomy A/C chemo 28 rad. At that time they were only giving Herceptin for recurrence.
It's been a little over 3Yrs and So far so good if I do have a recurrence then I will go on Herceptin.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:53 AM   #7
Elaine

I'm Her pos and have the standard chemo of fac once every three weeks for a total of 6 chemo. I just had my 5 today.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:07 AM   #8
Cathy

Been there done that. Get a second opinion and read " research and read some more.
I was dx in Oct. 2002 with 1.2cm in left breast. Had lumpectomy with sential node (came back neg). I had 2nd lumpectomy in Dec. because tumor did not have clean margins (sugeon said it was a fluke...). I did it just to be ""sure"". My path was grade 1" node neg er-/pr- " Her2/ neu 3+. I had 4 cycles of AC and then 33 rads. (finished in early June). They didn't offer taxotere at that time for my ""risk level"" and only at the end of my treatments in a clinicial trial. I felt great in July" tired in August. I started feeling sharp pains in my left side in late August. Told my onc. at my 3 month check up. Told my PCP at my yearly physcial in Oct. I really think she thought it was all it my head but I did have a CT scan (without contrast--big mistake on her part) and chest x-ray which came back negative. I found a hard lump (swollen lymph node) under my clavicle in late January and immediately went to my Onc. CT (with contrast) and bone scan showed mets to liver bone lymph in chest and pleura. Pet scan confirmed. I had a pleural effusion that took up my whole left lung!
Now I am on 3 week cycles of taxotere carboplatin and weekly cycles of herceptin. The tumors have shown a dramitic decline in 6 weeks. But i can't help but think that it would have been nice to beat it the first time around. I think I had mets when the tumor was discovered (my baseline mamo in 2000 showed nothing!) but my onc. thinks it spread after first round of chemo. I think it's to cover his behind " or because he really just doesn't know. I do know I was very tired for a few years prior and had dwelt with a loved one's serious car accident two years before (some info. says stress can ""activate the cancer"" into hyperdrive).
All this to say: INSIST on a 2nd opinion. You can get into clinical trials for high risk" " node negative (which is sounds like your partner fits). As stated before the danger is with the ""A"" part of AC. So they add the herceptin after you're done with AC.
"
Old 04-30-2004, 03:51 AM   #9
cathy b

Cathy - just read your early April msg today and hope you are doing OK. Am curious about something you said. I had been taking taxotere & herceptin since Nov. & started becoming very short of breath. Nothing showed up on PET scan & EKG & echocardiogram were normal. Onc ordered a chest xray & itwas discovered I had pleural efflu.
However from time to time if I move the wrong way I get a terribly sharp pain in my left side. Doc thinks efflu caused by taxotere and sharp pain could be a stitch in muscles. After reading your story am wondering if the pain has a more sinister meaning. Did you have pain all the time or just when you moved a certain way? If you happen to see this msg. would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks. Cathy B
Old 05-03-2004, 10:01 AM   #10
Cindy

Hi Martin I had a 9x9cm tumor with four positive nodes Er/pr+ her2+. I had bil mast four rounds of epirubicin/cytoxan and four rounds of taxotere/herceptin when I then had cardiac issues. I started having premature ventricular contractions. I had some scans done and I now have a cardiomyopathy. I did not take the herceptin with the epirubicin and still had heart problems. I am now dealing with a cardilogist hoping that he will protect myheart from my onc...who practically insists that I have to take herceptin or I will definitely recur. This scares me to death but...I don't want to die of heart failure either. I am only 46 just got diagnosed 10/1. REally read up on all the available options and then you can help your wife make an educated decision good luck and God bless. xoxo cindy