HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2004, 10:10 AM   #1
eric

I'm curious if anyone experienced any rib pain during radiation treatment. My wife, Caryn is into her 3rd week of radiation and a rib on her mastectomy side is sore to the touch. Rad onc suggested that we wait to see how it feels in a week but I have to admit that any bone pain scares me. I'm hoping that it's just from the burning but I'm scared of something else. Anyone with a similar experience?
Thanks, Eric
Old 04-28-2004, 10:30 AM   #2
carlye

Hi Eric,
I had alot of rib pain during and after radiation on my mastectomy side. I was really getting paranoid that it was bone mets, but it did not turn out to be that at all. My rad onco said it was normal. It was 2 years ago since I had it and I still have some tenderness. I do go to a massage therapist weekly and he works on all the muscles and areas around my mastectomy. That helps a ton! Hope your wife is doing well!!
Old 04-28-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
Linda in Calif.

Hi Eric: I also experienced rib pain...not during radiation but after. It's been 2 years and every so often I will get a tender spot on my ribs. The pain usually lasts a few days and then resolves itself. I know it doesn't sound like much but I found that Ibuprofin really helped with the pain. I am a great believer in "peace of mind". If your wife is really worried can you get one of her Drs. to do somekind of scan in just that area? My Drs. are pretty understanding about my need for reassurance and will order tests/scans fairly easily. I hope she feels better soon. Take Care, Linda
Old 04-28-2004, 03:36 PM   #4
lolam

I also had rib pain and it turned out to be broken ribs. That was after radiation though. The onc. agreed with me that my ribs were weakened due to radiation. But no mets, Thank heavens. Hugs, Lola
Old 04-29-2004, 01:50 AM   #5
Leticia in Germay

Dear Eric,
almost 4 years after radiation I am feeling paing on the left side (I had both sides radiated). I will get some scans tomorrow and hope it is nothing serious. I will report it.
Regards,

Leticia
Old 04-29-2004, 02:21 AM   #6
eleanor

I also have rib pain on both sides, but primarily on the side of the masectomy. It's been 4 yrs, I take ibuprofin and/or vicodine when it becomes intolerable.
el
Old 04-29-2004, 06:14 AM   #7
Patty H

I,m so glad you brought up rib pain. I do have bones mets, but reasonly I feel tender spots on a rib now and then. I keep feeling it trying to decide if it's from my reconstruction where they brought the muscle around.My radiation Dr. did a bone scan a couple of weeks ago and it showed something new on my rib. They didn't say it was new mets and they weren't real concerned about it. But I had not told anyone about the sore spot before then. She said they would do another scan in 6 months. When my oncologist saw the scan plus (my chest scan for lungs)he said no that was too long So after starting me on xeloda he is doing another bone scan in 6 weeks. But I feel better knowing that others have the soreness and it's not always new mets. I just assumed it was. Now I have some hope it might just normal. For us that is. Patty H