HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
Emelie B

Re: Pallative Care

Oh my goodness, I had no idea my post would cause such a stir! I am sorry for upsetting you all so much.
Just let me say to those of you who suggest that I am depressed and need professional help, that I am seeing a psychologist and I am on Lexapro. I really am not depressed ladies.
What I am, is determined to not be a burden to my family. I know how this ends, as do you, and I want to do it on my terms if possible.
I feel really good now, as I have not had anything for 2 weeks and I am starting feel like a human being again.
There are many reasons for my decision but like I said, I will not be a burden to my family.
I asked my onc about trials, don't qualify for TDM-1 because I have not had Tykerb and he does not think I can tolerate it, and he said Pertussamab (sp) is going back to trials and funding from the government is really tight, so he has no idea when it may be approved. He also said if I continued with chemos, statistically I would have about 12-14 mnths.
So, I am done with toxic chemos. No more.
I hope to live in realtive comfort and make each and every day with my family and friends count.
Our trip to Pais in mid-May is my biggest goal and I am also going to meet Michka for a cup of wonderful coffe and enjoy the view.
So, you see, I have plans and I am doing well.
If you think I am scared, well of course I am. Who is not afraid of the end to some extent? But I can honestly tell you I am at peace with my decision and my husband and I are moving forward.
Thank you all for your concern and your caring thoughts.
I will stay in touch and hopefully I can shed some much needed light on the pallative care process.
Best to all,
Emelie
March 2007-MRM with 8 of 14 lymph node involvement
May 2007-36 Rads
Sept. 2007- Stopped Herceptin
Jan. 2010- CT scan shows enlarged lymph nodes in sternum and lung involvement
Feb. 2010-PET scan shows mets to liver, lung, lymph nodes and bone
Feb. 2010- Started Herceptin/Taxol and Zometa
April 2010-PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa
June 2010- Stopped Herceptin continue Zometa and still NED
August 2010-Back on Herceptin and Zometa every 3 weeks
August 13, 2010- Had another port placed
August 24, 2010- PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa every three weeks
Nov. 2010-PET scan clear
Feb. 2011-Brain MRI clear
March 2011- PET scan clear
May 2011- PET scan clear
Sept. 2011- PET, Mammo, Bone Scan all clear- Herceptin only
March 2012-Recurrence in lungs and tumor around pota hepatis artery. Added Navelbine to herceptin
April 2012- Entered palliative care
June 5, 2012-Entered hospice care
Planning my memorial
Emelie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
StephN

Wink Re: Palliative Care

Dear Emilie B -

Thank you for your honest and candid post.
(I took the liberty of making a spelling correction on the thread title - to Palliative - with an "i".)

I am sure that the varying reactions come from differing points of view, some of which correspond to those here who are continuing treatment through thick and thin.

Your disease burden does not seem to be so large and numerous that it could not have a chance for control. This situation seems to be partly the cause of the "speechless" reponses, without that exactly being said.

I don't see any current marker numbers, but assume you have current scans to watch the changes by.

Amy's comment: "One of the affirmations I listen to says something like, "More and more, I realize that I can heal myself and live, or I can heal myself and die. My physical condition is not a factor in my wholeness." When I first heard that it was jarring."

That is the same tape I listened to every night as I fell asleep when I was beginning my mets fight against raging liver mets. I asked for healing of my spirit as well as my body. Strong prayers several times a day became my routine. I threw myself into my healing with all my might. If the good Lord might spare me because I was needed by my family and parents, I would give my body over to His plan.

Having stayed alive has not been without its trials, but I managed to make it through them all up to now. My family has never made me feel like I have been a burden, and I do all I can for them with the energy and strength I have, which is not constant. Some days are better than others.

Enjoy your trip to France and the beautiful spring weather that is upon us. My aunt also stopped treatment for a slow growing kind of breast cancer and lived for almost FIVE more years. She did use some alternative methods, and that was nearly 15 years ago.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 04-10-2012 at 06:05 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Ceesun

Re: Palliative Care

Emilie, I wish only good things for you, but I respectfully disagree with your statement....you know how this ends, we all do. I believe only God knows how it ends. There are those who are statistical abnormalities and those who defy the odds... I would mention Christine, our founder, as one and there are many others. I met another one, years ago, at an Ingredients for Healing conference well before my own diagnosis. He beat pancreatic cancer and survived for 12 years...maybe more...impressive. I wish that we all could do that on this board. For myself, during treatment I have seen my daughter marry, my first grandchild born, my other daughter graduate from college and have gone on a trip of a lifetime...much on my bucket list. Is my situation crappy ....yes! but I still find my joy. I hope you have much joy. I wish you would give thought to a little more treatment and yet I do understand enough is enough. Go with God and I say this because I care. Not trying to be preachy and I hope this does not come across that way. Peace, Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote