HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
R.B.

The Role of Omega 3 and 6 in breast cancer

Please see the Greek Diet Thread.

I have set a new title in case Omega 3 and 6 might catch the interest and the Greek Diet did not for new visitors to the site who are not aware the Greek Diet thread is primarily about omegas 3 and 6 in diet.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24410

Blood. 2008 Apr 1;111(7):3514-21. Epub 2008 Jan 23.Click here to read Links
Modulation of angiogenesis by omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids is mediated by cyclooxygenases.
Szymczak M, Murray M, Petrovic N.

Pharmacogenomics and Drug Development Group, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Sydney, Camperdown, Australia.

"Both epidemiologic and experimental findings suggest that omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (omega-3 PUFAs), which are almost absent from typical Western diets, exert protective effects against cancer progression, although the precise mechanism of this suppression remains unknown. One of the potential targets for omega-3 PUFAs in cancer suppression is angiogenesis, a process of new blood vessel formation within rapidly growing tumors. Here, we demonstrate that omega-6 PUFAs stimulate and omega-3 PUFAs inhibit major proangiogenic processes in human endothelial cells, including the induction of angiopoietin-2 (Ang2) and matrix metalloprotease-9, endothelial invasion, and tube formation, that are usually activated by the major omega-6 PUFA arachidonic acid"
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
Kim in DC

Thanks R.B. In your opinion, how much should you take if you have mets?

Kim
er/pr-, her2neu+++
8/19 taxotere and herceptin
1/15/2005 Navelbine/Herceptin
4/2005 radiation and Herceptin
5/15/2005 Herceptin alone
2/12/2008 skin biopsy positive
2/14/2008 met to sternum, possibly right breast
2/27/08 Start omitarg, herceptin, taxotere trial
3/17/08 Kicked off trial because I started too close to my last herceptin
3/19 start tykerb xeloda
Right breast confirmed met
5/15/08 skin mets gone, no hypermetabolic activity in breast, sternum healing
8/24/08 scans still look good. sternum still active with scarring. No evidence of progression
10/08 Progression in sternum
12/08 Start TDM1 trial
1/09 Scans show stable
12/09 1 year on TDM1 still stable
10/10 progression in chest and liver
11/10 false positive of liver mets; tykerb and herceptin
4/11 Tykerb/Herceptin/Xgeva
4/11 Rads to Sternum
5/12/12 NED Herceptin/Zometa
3/16/19 still NED Herceptin/Zometa very 6months
Kim in DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
ElaineM

The role of Omega 3 and 6 in breast cancer

Thanks. I need more omega 3. I just added some salmon to my diet.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #4
R.B.

Elaine - More Salmon

Farmed Salmon is likely to be higher in Omega 6, although providing long chain Omega 3. Natural fish has a much higher ratio of Omega 3:6. See www.nutritiondata.com Small oily fish are a better choice as they like all fish provide all round nutrition. Fish oil provides the Omega 3 and the best ones are distilled so removing many of the pollutants.

Kim in DC.

I am sorry I cannot give guidelines as I am not an expert. Also there is a lack of agreement among the experts. If you read through the Greek Diet thread you will see some medical professionals head towards 3 grams a day of EPA plus DHA combined. Others suggest lower amounts. Some of this board have had benefits in inflammatory conditions with a couple of dessert spoons of fish oil a day which is more than 3 grams a day. A trial suggested the uptake in women drops off at about 2 grams of DHA a day which would be 2 about 2 small desert spoon (4 teaspoons). I would vote with the towards 3/4 grams DHA and EPA combined total a day rather than the low end based on reading round the subject for those trying to correct historic imbalance.

As well as including long chain sources it is equally as much about reducing the Omega 6 mother fat intake to balance the Omega 3 mother fat.

Please discuss dietary change with your Doctor. For a few Omega 3s can have side effects including blood thinning.

R.B.

www.omegasixthedevilsfat.com

Last edited by R.B.; 06-22-2008 at 11:19 PM..
Old 06-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
ElaineM

Smile The Role of Omega 3 and 6 in breast cancer

Thanks very much for all the information. I appreciate it.
I try to eat wild salmon that are not farmed.
Keep up the good work on the oils.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:48 AM   #6
R.B.

I have not seen the full trial - the 20% fat is not all Omega 3 but I do not know now much was Omega 3 or what type.

RB

Modulation of murine mammary tumor vasculature by dietary n-3 fatty acids in fish oil.
Author: Mukutmoni Norris, M : Hubbard, N E : Erickson, K L
Citation: Cancer-Lett. 2000 Mar 13; 150(1): 101-9

We have previously shown that mice fed a high (n-3) fatty acid-containing diet with 20% (w/w) total fat had significantly slower mammary tumor growth, decreased numbers of metastatic pulmonary nodules, and decreased total metastatic load. In this study we sought to determine whether tumor vascularization was altered in mice fed diets varying in concentrations of (n-3) and (n-6) fatty acids. Several direct or indirect parameters of vascularization were tested. With 20% dietary fat, fish oil (FO) or a mixture of FO and safflower oil (FS) significantly reduced blood vascular area, mast cell number and macrophage infiltration in solid mammary tumors compared to tumors grown in mice fed safflower oil (SO). A decreasing trend was seen in the percent area of vessels positive for CD31 and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in the 20% FO and 20% FS compared to the 20% SO dietary groups. VEGF concentrations were twice as high in smaller tumors (100 mm3) from all dietary groups as compared to larger tumors (500 mm3). A two-fold increase in VEGF levels was found in the 20% SO dietary group compared to the 20% FO group in 100-mm3 but not larger tumors. We conclude that at 20% total fat, the n-3 fatty acids found in fish oil may inhibit primary mammary tumor growth through modulation of select determinants of vascularization.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
R.B.

This post is again looking at the impact of types of fat including Omega 3s and 6s.

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB...fp=59771fp.pdf

ABSTRACT

Suppression of Growth and Metastasis of
Human Breast Cancer Cells in vivo and
in vitro
H. Senzaki a, A. Tsubura a, H. Takada b
aDepartment of Pathology II, Kansai Medical University, and bDepartment of Surgery,
Kansai Medical University Kori Hospital, Osaka, Japan

The etiology of human breast cancer is complex and still poorly understood.
Carcinogenesis is frequently influenced by environmental factors, and epidemiological surveys have implicated diet as one of the most important factors; the major nutrient substance associated with increased breast cancer risk is dietary fat [1, 2]. The data linking dietary fat and human breast carcinogenesis are mainly epidemiological. Most notable is the case of the native Greenland Eskimos, whose diet is high in fat, but the age-adjusted risk of cancer in general, and of breast cancer in particular, is low [3, 4]. . . . CONTINUES
Old 06-29-2008, 12:56 AM   #8
R.B.

Cancer and inflammaton.

Excess Omega 6 and lack of Omega 3 is arguably the root of inflammation.

RB

http://ict.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/1/1/7
Integrative Cancer Therapies, Vol. 1, No. 1, 7-37 (2002)
DOI: 10.1177/153473540200100102
© 2002 SAGE Publications
Nutritional and Botanical Modulation of the Inflammatory Cascade—Eicosanoids, Cyclooxygenases, and Lipoxygenases— As an Adjunct in Cancer Therapy
Jeanne M. Wallace, PhD, CNC

Emerging on the horizon in cancer therapy is an expansion of the scope of treatment beyond cytotoxic approaches to in clude molecular management of cancer physiopathology. The goal in these integrative approaches, which extends beyond eradicating the affected cells, is to control the cancer phenotype. One key new approach appears to be modulation of the inflammatory cascade, as research is expanding that links cancer initiation, promotion, progression, angiogenesis, and metastasis to inflammatory events. This article presents a literature review of the emerging relation ship between neoplasia and inflammatory eicosanoids (PGE2 and related prostaglandins), with a focus on how inhibition of their synthesizing oxidases, particularly cyclooxygenase (COX), offers anticancer actions in vitro and in vivo. Although a majority of this research emphasizes the pharmaceutical applications of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and selective COX-2 inhibitors, these agents fail to address alternate pathways available for the synthesis of proinflammatory eicosanoids. Evidence is presented that sug gests the inhibition of lipoxygenase and its by-products— LTB4, 5-HETE, and 12—HETE—represents an overlooked but crucial component in complementary cancer therapies. Based on the hypothesis that natural agents capable of modulating both lipoxygenase and COX may advance the efficacy of cancer therapy, an overview and discussion is presented of dietary modifications and selected nutritional and botanical agents (notably, omega-3 fatty acids, andoxi dants, boswellia, bromelain, curcumin, and quercetin) that favorably influence eicosanoid production.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:44 AM   #9
R.B.

Re: The Role of Omega 3 and 6 in breast cancer

Bump - HI all sorry bumped the wrong thread - but it links through to the right thread

Last edited by R.B.; 09-18-2018 at 01:55 AM..
Old 09-18-2018, 01:46 AM   #10
R.B.

As above I was trying the bimp the Omega 3 6 thread on the nutrition board and when it was not there repeated the process - sincere apologies)

Last edited by R.B.; 09-18-2018 at 01:57 AM..
Old 09-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #11
SoCalGal

Hi RB,
Nice to see you on here again. I feel off the vitamins and supplements wagon this year. Good reminder that my good nutrition for the past decade could have played a part in my long term survival. Another reminder for me to get back to cleaner eating! Thanks for all your wise support over the years
Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote