HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
Lisa

For Ladies Only

Sorry, Gents, this a "ladies only" thread.

Have any of you had problems with feminine itching, diaper rash and hemmorhoid sort of issues? I seem to have ongoing issues with this lately. Today I had to use 3 types of creams. Wondered if it could be something about being on Herceptin continuously for more than 2 years? Or chemo (different types) for same length of time.

I realize this is not a great topic for discussion, but I needed to ask SOMEBODY before I itch to death.

Thanks for putting up with my "familiarity" with all of you.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
Lolly

Lisa, I've had off and on problems with all three and don't know if it's the Herceptin or the chemo, but take a twice daily dose of Acidophilus gel caps to help prevent overgrowth of Candida yeast, which can be the cause of anal and vaginal itching and rash. The hemmoroids have been a long term problem for me, I'm afraid, ever since childbirth, but Navelbine and constipation haven't helped for sure...

<3 Lolly

Last edited by Lolly; 02-05-2006 at 10:23 PM..
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
janet/FL

Hi Lisa
When I started chemo, my doctor said, get some of that cream for feminine itching and use it "down there." I got the itch, got the cream and much to my surprise, it worked! It is the over-the-counter Micronazole nitrate.
Hope it works as well for you.
Janet
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
Becky

During chemo I got 2 yeast infections (I was plagued when I was in my late 20's and early 30's). I got Monastat (the same active Janet mentioned) and it worked like a charm.

Yeast "tends" to grow in higher estrogen levels so when I got my ovaries removed and went on Arimidex (hence very low to no estrogen), I thought all my itching troubles would be over (as no chemo now, just Herceptin). But NO!! Low estrogen levels (or going abruptly into menopause (or just menopause period for some women)) can cause bacterial vaginal infections and urinary tract infections (caused by relaxation of either the vaginal or bladder wall). Also, the vagina gets drier and cannot self clean as well. So...UTI and vaginal infections are easy to cure but both require either oral or topical antibiotics and that can cause....a YEAST infection. Does it ever end? I am very careful and I use a topical steroid cream from my doctor and take cranberry extract pills to try to prevent a UTI (so I don't have to take antibiotics). I also figured out that certain brands of vaginal lubricants do not agree with me and I think they are the culprit of the vaginal infections (which I think ping pong to the bladder during .... sex (there, I typed it)).

I too have hemorroids but I think that area gets inflamed because the pH of the secretions down there are off and burn and itch everything. I don't think the hemorroids have really flared up. I have been okay for 6 weeks now and hoping that I have a handle on it.

My doctor (PCP) said it might take up to a year for my body to adjust to the extra low estrogen levels and that this is probably the reason why this is happening to me (so I hope that the Arimidex is working hard and the herceptin too). I have over 6 more months to go to hit a year since the ovaries were removed.

I hope this helps. I think more of us go through this but it is harder to talk about.

Warm regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:22 PM   #5
lisahammo

Hi Lisa

I too have had problems on and off over the past 18 months. It is very annoying, on top of everything else! I use 'nappy rash' cream and lots of other creams etc for whatever is playing up at the time.

Hope you feel a bit better soon. Take care.

Love Lisa
lisahammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:21 AM   #6
Lyn
A Living Legend

Smile

I have been on Herceptin for over 4 years so I don't believe it is that causing the problems. I know that with immune disease thrush and other itches thrive, so I think when the immune system is low from the chemo it would be the same thing. I have Milton Nappy Rash cream on hand because some of the chemos cause diahorea and that brings out the hemaroids just to finish us off. We have a cream in Australia for the vaginal itch which also works around the anal area and it is call Nilstat cream and can be bought over the counter. Have you tried an anti-histamine tablet or cream, these rashes can also be brought out when stressed. I think we can all relate to these problems, and apart from the vaginal itch I think the males can relate to this as well, they just get jock itch.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:35 AM   #7
lu ann

Have any of you tried acidophilus? It can be found in the Health Food stores and is taken orally. Yogurt is also very good for yeast. You might want to use one with no added sugar as yeast love sugar. Blessings, Lu Ann.
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:32 AM   #8
Lyn
A Living Legend

I knew a lady who used to dip a tampon in the yoghurt and insert it, she said it worked, I have never tried it. I was worried there may be more bacteria this way.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:24 AM   #9
kristen

Hi Lisa,
I had a lot of it last summer when my periods came back. I would use the 7 day Monistat 7, because the 3 day stuff just didn't cut it. Also my doctor ended up having to give me some antibiotics because it got so bad. I would have to look it up what it was called but I went through a couple of bottle before it finally stopped. I think Becky is on the money with this. This is just one lovely gift that keeps on giving. As if we don't have enough to deal with. Hope some of this helps. I did eat lots of Yogurt, it seemed to help some what.
MRM: 11/07/03
TX: TCH-BRICG Study-6 tx's; 12/15/03
Herceptin; til 12/14/04
Rads: 30 days
BRCA neg
S-Gap: 12/15/04
Oct 05: LAVH
NED
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #10
Lisa

Thank you ladies for sharing your "private" concerns.

I've been checked for yeast infection and that's not it. But I will ask this week about a topical steroid creme. I will also start Acidophilis. Because THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY! Ah.h..h.h.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #11
Marlys

Lisa, If you like buttermilk that works too. I feel very lucky in that the only time my "roids" hurt is when I have diarrhea. And never any burning or itching since I finished chemo.
Love & Hugs,
Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #12
Unregistered

My friend had this and she said it was from the chemo. She had it long after finishing the treatment. The doctors didn't know what it was and she found it on the internet. I can ask her tomorrow what she used for cream. I will be going to a support group with her. hugs, Sandy
Old 02-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #13
julierene

I am 30 years old, and had my ovaries removed at age 29. Ever since the surgery, I have had problems with sex and TERRIBLE burning afterwards. I can't say I have problems any other time - unless I haven't had at least 10 minutes of foreplay. I can't use ANY lubricants. Oh, and to add insult to injury - I think the pH issue with my husbands addition to my vagina don't make matters any better. So I asked the gyno about it, and he gave me this estrogen cream. I used half of the measuring dose on the insert tube (1mg?). BOY! That stuff made me think I had some kind of infection - the smell was BAD! Then, I kept loosing a little dot of urine when I would have a full bladder. It was 2 days of utter annoyance. I thought I had some kind of infection, but it went away by the 3rd day after the 1 and only use of that stuff I tried. I have no idea if this is of any use, but that's all I got on it. Probably menopause issues... I do feel that pH is probably the culpret for me, but I don't know how to fix it. I thought I had a yeast infection too, but it seems triggered by anything foreign being put inside that area. I have only been on Herceptin since December, so I know the chemo didn't do this.

Are you in menopause?

Not only do I have to worry about being stage 4, I have a hard time enjoying the fun stuff too. GRRRRR!!!!

Last edited by julierene; 02-06-2006 at 09:00 PM..
julierene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:03 AM   #14
Sheila

The little miracle pill

Lisa
Just wondering if you have tried Diflucan, a prescription pill that seems to work well for irritation...you take it once or twice and it seems to do the trick. I know I have to take antibiotics before dental treatment etc., and I always take 1 Diflucan to counteract the itchies I get from the antibiotics. So many of these drugs can really upset the natural PH that is in our "private areas". This is so much easier than the creams...less messy and works for me. I do think it is geared more toward yeast infections, but it might work....I'd get a script and try it.
Hope this helps
Sheila

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
Lolly

Lisa, this is a little late but I came across this info while researching side effects of Xeloda, which I've been on for the last month. I've been experiencing general "itchie-ness" and it turns out Xeloda can also cause Vaginal Itch:

"...Skin and Subcutaneous: nail disorder (0.1), sweating increased (0.1), face edema, photosensitivity reaction (0.1), urticaria, skin ulcer, genital pruritus, skin lesion, ecchymoses, hyperkeratosis, intertrigo, leg ulcer (excluding varicose), localized skin reaction, red face, rosacea, scab, foot ulcer (0.1)..."

http://rxcarecanada.com/Xeloda.asp

The article is very long but I've included the link for verification. Hope the steriod cream has sorted this problem out for you!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:46 PM   #16
Gina

Don't forget...

Pinworms, or threadworms as they are sometimes called, can cause some of these same symptoms as well as they live in the small intestine but come down to the anus to lay their eggs at night....sighh... Pinworm infestation is often accompanied by insomnia as the itching is so severe it disrupts sleep. When the immune system is down or otherwise suppressed such as with drugs like ativan and benadryl, yeasts, fungi, and other parasites take over...unfortunately...

Barring worms... it could also be a histamine reaction...even to Herceptin.

But I was curious if folks experiencing this particular symptom of itching were taking tumeric and or olive leaf lately... sometimes, these herbs kill off all sorts of nasties higher up in the small intestine and then the body washes them down and out the rectum where the allergic protein residue can cause itching...sort of a histamine reaction. In alternative medicine, this is called "die-off" and although uncomfortable...is often a good sign that the olive leaf or tumeric or cloves or garlic or whatever is working higher up. If you can survive this good kind of itching...it may be an indication that you are actually getting better. One way to tell if it is just a histamine allergic reaction is to treat the area with capsaicin or mustard oil. If the itching stops on contact...odds are good that you are simply experiencing die- off and eventually, the discomfort should clear up and you should find that your over all health is improving.

Capsaicin prevents histamine-induced itching.

Toth-Kasa I, Jancso G, Bognar A, Husz S, Obal F Jr.

The effects of topical treatment with capsaicin or mustard oil on histamine-induced pruritus, wheal formation and flare response were studied in the human skin. Capsaicin pretreatment resulted in a reversible marked reduction or abolition of the axon reflex flare, but did not influence whealing. Itching was also strongly diminished or even abolished, provided that the flare response was completely blocked. The onset of itching was significantly promoted by pretreatment of the skin with mustard oil, inducing axon reflex vasodilatation. It is concluded that, in addition to the axon reflex flare, capsaicin-sensitive peptide-containing primary afferent neurones are also intimately involved in the mediation of the sensation of itching.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote