HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-17-2004, 09:56 AM   #1
Ron

My wife Cyndi has mets to lungs. She received Taxotere and Herceptin, weekly schedule. She turned toxic to the combination after three months, also had fluid around lungs and heart. Onc. decided to switch to Taxol and drop Herceptin for a while... about 2 ½ months. Tried adding Herceptin back into mix last week and now she has much fluid retainage and difficulty breathing. She is taking Coumadin / warfarin, and these seem to help but do not give sufficient relief to permit continued use of the Herceptin. The Good news is that the tumors continue to shrink and become less defined!

Have any of you ladies had similar conditions and if anyone is NED, were you able to add Herceptin as a stand alone drug after chemo?

The Good news is that the tumors continue to shrink and become less defined!

Thanks, ron
Old 02-17-2004, 11:21 AM   #2
SueF2

I had been "wanting" Herceptin since my original dx, chemo, surgery, and rads. I got it after I was dx with mets to the liver and bones in late December.

I had some shortness of breath early in January, but it all came to head one morning at 2:00 am when I had to call 911 - just couldn't breathe. This was two weeks after my loading dose of Herceptin and Navelbine, and one week after my first 30 min. dose of Herceptin. I was put under the care of a cardiologist and was dx with cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure! Sure didn't expect that.

So, unfortunately, it looks like I won't be getting Herceptin.

So do be on the alert.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:10 AM   #3
eleanor

Hi Ron,
Is your wife receiving decadron before treatment? Steroids are used to reduce the possibility of this reaction. Taxotere is known for causing pleural effusions and herceptin can cause fluid around the heart. So it's up to the dr to decide what the risks are. Has she had the fluid tapped yet and had a cytology report done?
that may help determine why the fluid is building up - from the cancer or the chemo.
I had to stop taxotere due to pleural effusions. I did end up NED but have major lung damage and to make a long story short, I am on oxygen and currently weaning off prednisone. I can't take herceptin at this point because of fluid build up (due to the prednisone).
Talk to the oncologist and see about ruling out other causes of fluid (echo, ct's etc).
In answer to the other question, many women become NED and go on to take herceptin alone as a precaution.
el
Old 02-18-2004, 02:38 AM   #4
Jessica

Ron-That is fantastic news that Cyndi is responding well to the chemo combo!Now it's just a matter of keeping the body healthy enough, long enough, and keeping all that toxicity at bay so that the chemo can finish its job!
I was dx'd Stage IV w/liver mets at primary dx in May 2002.I have been NED since 9/11, after 49 weeks of 3 different chemo combos.I was on Herceptin for 8 weeks when I was first dx'd and now have been on weekly since May 2003, and then herceptin as a solo agent since 9/03.I am very fortunate to not experience severe toxicity, but my EF has decreased ~20%.Be sure to ask the onc what is being done to combat the fluid retention...steroids? stopping/changing chemo or herceptin?The coumadin/warfarin is an anticoagulant (blood thinner) & I don't believe has any specific role in combating pleural effusions.
I do take CoQ10 to support my cardiac function while on Herceptin.
Hope this info is helpful.Take good care of Cyndi,
Jessica
Old 02-18-2004, 04:36 AM   #5
Ron

Thanks for your reply.

Yes Cyndi receives decadron before treatment w/Taxol. She has had the fluid drained and tested, no sign of cancer in the fluid. Just the PE and has fluid around heart but the Lasix is managing to an acceptable level when she is only on chemo. The Herceptin seems to be what pushes it over the edge.

Thanks Again,
ron