HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-19-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
Linda in MI.

Hi Ladies,

I just got home today after being in the hospital for 12 days. The talc procedure was successful but I had some cardiac complications. During the procedure I had a cardiac arrthymia and I also had some fluid around my heart so I had to have a pericardial window to get rid of the fluid. I responded very well after the arrhythmia but after surgery I still had a fast heart rate so I was in intensive care for 4 days instead of 1 or 2. THey pumped me with a lot of fluids which in turn made my blood pressure too low--it runs low anyway so I had that to deal with too.

Good news is I'm home now and on my way to recovery. This was a very difficult thing to go through but worth it as long as the long term outlook is good--which I'm told is 95%. I had a repeat echo before I left the hospital and my ejection fraction has already increased 15% in the last ten days. It had decreased quite a bit following the surgery, but that is to be expected. My cardiologist said he seees no reason to believe that it will not continue to do so. (increase). Normal for me is high 50's and right now it's in the low 40's.

They sent me home on some oxygen to use at night while sleeping. I'm still short of breath if I walk a lot but my thoracic surgeon told me it takes 4-6 weeks for your lung to fully inflate and recover so this is all normal.

Thanks to everyone for your thoghts and prayers. It means more to me than I can ever say.

If anyone has had the lung talc procedure done and has anyother words of advice or ecouragement please don't hesitate to post.

Blessings and Hugs to All,

Linda in MI.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
Jackie

Welcome home, Linda! I have no pearls of wisdom for you but am just glad to hear that things went well and you're home again. I hope the hard part is over with and it's all positive experiences from here on!
Take good care,
Jackie
Old 02-19-2004, 11:23 AM   #3
Pattie

Dear Linda, I have been so worried about you. I've been looking every day for a post from you and I also posted twice asking how you have been. I'm so sorry you had the problems you had, but it's all behind you now. Believe me, when I got out of the hospital after my talcing I was so weak and felt so tired. I was also in the hospital 12 or 13 days when I had the talcing done because my lung collapsed when they were draining the fluid from it. It truly is a very difficult thing to go through, especially when there are complications. I'm sure in a few weeks you will be feeling much better. Just sit back and let everyone take care of you. Act like a queen - you deserve it. If you have any questions you can e-mail me at PMig317@aol.com. So glad you are home, Love Pattie
Old 02-19-2004, 12:43 PM   #4
Lolly

Linda,
I'm glad to hear you're back home and healing up ok. It sounds like it was quite an ordeal, and I really do appreciate you taking the time to post us a message, it's good to know what this procedure is like if any of us have to have it done. Rest and heal up now.
Hugs,
Lolly
Old 02-19-2004, 06:25 PM   #5
rose

Welcome home from the hospital. It sounds like quite an ordeal! You are a tough cookie!! I hope you feel better soon and I am so glad that your heart function has improved.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:57 AM   #6
Gail

I am so glad to hear from you, I have been watching for news of your operation. My lungs are filling up every other week and my oncologist is sending me to a thorasic surgeon to talk about the talcing. Keep us informed on your recovery. I keep you in my prayers. Love Gail