HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
Kathpove

Cancer and COPD

I am a new member and I have been reading through the threads and get much comfort and hope. Thanks everyone!

One question. I was diagnosed with bc in September, and am just about to start chemo on December 5.

Before getting bc, I was suffering from severe COPD, and worry a little about the Herceptin. Anybody have any ideas if this will be a problem for me? Thanks.
Kathpove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
juanita

I have asthma, and I did fine with herceptin. They'll just keep a closer eye on you.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:20 AM   #3
tricia keegan

During chemo I was told I had early copd as I'd smoked for years, they said may get worse in time, but had no problems with herceptin although I do find since rads I'm far more breathless than I used to be.
Im sure they'll watch you closely and good luck!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
Becky

I also have asthma but did fine on chemo and Herceptin.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
kimber

My lung function did go down quite of bit while on Herceptin. However, it has since come back. Not completely. I was only able to do 6 months of Herceptin due to MUGA and lung function. Please have them monitor you closely. Very closely. Make sure that they do your lung function tests faithfully. (Monthly).

I wish you the best.

-kim
double mastectomy
4DD AC - 16 weekly Taxol
6 months Herceptin - stopped due to MUGA
35 chest wall rads
Tamoxifen
Lat flap with silicone implant reconstruction on left side due to radiation. "Normal" silicone on right. Finished all reconstruction 6-07!!!
kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
R.B.

COPD and Asthma both have an inflammatory element.

Diet can assist in reducing inflammatory pressures. This thread on Omega Threes and Sixes may be of interest.

Please discuss dietary changes with your doctor. Fish oil causes blood thinning and for a few has other side effects.

RB

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...ght=Greek+diet

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

Effects of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on inflammatory markers in COPD.
Matsuyama W, Mitsuyama H, Watanabe M, Oonakahara K, Higashimoto I, Osame M, Arimura K.

"CONCLUSION: We suggest nutritional support with an omega-3 PUFA-rich diet as a safe and practical method for treating COPD."

Division of Respiratory Medicine, Respiratory and Stress Care Center, Kagoshima University Hospital, Sakuragaoka 8-35-1, Kagoshima 890-8520, Japan. vega@xa2.so-net.ne.jp

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

Docosahexaenoic acid and smoking-related chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study Investigators.
Shahar E, Boland LL, Folsom AR, Tockman MS, McGovern PG, Eckfeldt JH.

Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, and Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. shahar@epi.umn.edu

"DHA may have a role in preventing or treating COPD and other chronic inflammatory conditions of the lung. Pilot testing of that hypothesis in experimental models seems warranted."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...RVAbstractPlus

Dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and smoking-related chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study Investigators.
Shahar E, Folsom AR, Melnick SL, Tockman MS, Comstock GW, Gennaro V, Higgins MW, Sorlie PD, Ko WJ, Szklo M.

Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55454-1015.

Dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and smoking-related chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study Investigators.
Shahar E, Folsom AR, Melnick SL, Tockman MS, Comstock GW, Gennaro V, Higgins MW, Sorlie PD, Ko WJ, Szklo M.

Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55454-1015.

"A high dietary intake of n-3 fatty acids may protect cigarette smokers against COPD."
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
Becky

R.b.

Yesterday - 11/23, I had my yearly physical with my General Physician. I have not used my inhaler for one full year - never needed it (and you should have seen me before bc). My HDL is 82 - a spectacular reading. He is thrilled. I am attributing the lack of asthma to my Omega 3/Meditteran Diet. This allowed to really begin to run again and the two together, I believe, reversed a high cholesterol problem I had (257 with an HDL of 40 and now 207 with an HDL of 82). I am really thrilled and impressed. I do watch my diet and try to eat primarily fruits, veggies, fish, poultry and grains but I do eat eggs and steak a couple of times a month but everyday I take my fish oil. Prior to meeting you on this board, I did some research too and feel that if one needs to watch things you should: take fish oil, take vitamin D, take one full strength aspirin daily, walk religiously - thanks for all your research - you make it easier for me and all of us. I think Omega 3 is key.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
Mary Jo

I, like Becky, feel diet/fish oil and exercise are the key. Especially the fish oil. I never did have lung problems BUT before breast cancer my cholesterol - HDL/LDL/ Trig. were nothing to write home about. Since breast cancer, religious physical exercise (minimum 4 miles a day - 6 days a week, often 7 days a week), a wayyyyy better diet with much less sugar and my daily dose of Cod liver oil (Nordic Naturals Cod Liver Oil with D) - I take 1 tablespoon of this - my cholesterol and it's levels ARE something to write home about. My HDL is now a whoppin' 92 (that's the good cholesterol). An optimal number for HDL is 60. My LDL (the lousy cholesterol) is 95. Optimal for the LDL is less than 100. My triglycerides were 76 and should be below 150.

I, too, believe this is all due to better diet and exercise with fish oil being the key. Thanks R.B. for all your help and information you provide us regarding balance. Although I don't understand it all, it's paying off by doing the best I can.

As dear "hutchibk" so lovingly pointed out to me in a different post "God is my partner in this as is my doctor and the healthfulness we seek." I couldn't have said it better myself.

Hugs,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:34 AM   #9
R.B.

Becky and Marejo,

Thank you for taking the trouble to post your experience, and thank you for the support.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote