HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2017, 04:11 AM   #1
Paula O

Free Faces of Courage Retreat in FL in Sept: Wanna Have a Her2 Meetup?

I've attended the free Faces of Courage women's cancer retreat weekend in Florida multiple times and it is a wonderful opportunity I thought some of you guys might be interested in too. There are lots and lots of fun activities (all optional), pampering, the food is great, and there is so much support and encouragement just talking with other women who are facing various forms of cancer, many of them breast cancer. You do not have to be in active treatment to attend. If you've ever had cancer, even if you have no evidence of disease now, you are welcome to attend.

It would be a great place for us members of Her2Support.org to meet up for an enjoyable weekend with each other along with lots of other new friends that'll be there too. Everything is free EXCEPT all your transportation which is the total responsibility of each person going. It's about a half an hour Uber trip from Tampa International Airport or perhaps folks could share the expense of renting a car together if arriving around the same time.

***There is absolutely no guarantee of folks from our group being assigned to the same sleeping cabin but I would strongly suggest that each person who applies to attend include a comment that you would very much appreciate being assigned the same cabin that all the ladies noting on their application that they are from www.her2support.org group. Even if not assigned to the same cabin, there is lots of time to connect and do things together.***

Here is the info:

New Campers May NOW Sign up for Women's Cancer Retreat for the Weekend of September 8-10

Please pass the word that registration is now open for NEW Campers to attend our 2017 Women's Cancer Weekend at Rotary's Camp FL (in Brandon, FL a suburb of Tampa, FL). This 'FREE' weekend is open to any women over the age of 21 who has been diagnosed with any type of cancer. This exciting weekend camp starts on Friday evening at 6 pm and ends on Sunday at noon. Campers will enjoy gourmet meals, air conditioned/heated cabins, massages, spa treatments, hair styling, dessert parties, a themed dance and lots of traditional camp activities like canoeing, art and crafts, ice cream party and tie dying.
This camp is a barrier free facility located on two lakes and the grounds are covered in old Florida Oaks. Those of you who have been to camp know the healing power of getting together with other cancer survivors who have all faced the same struggles. Often lifelong friendship have been started with just one weekend. Please pass the word to those who are newly diagnosed and struggling.
NEW Campers may sign up from July 13- July 27.
RETURNING Campers will be able to sign up August 13 starting at 11:59PM.

To register email or call the contact person in charge of the camp
Peggie Sherry
(813) 948-7478

Faces of Courage Foundation
10006 Cross Creek Blvd, 519
Tampa, FL 33647
(813) 948-7478
psherry@facesofcourage.org
Www.FacesofCourage.org
-----------------

Please reply to this thread if you are interested/have applied to attend. There is an excellent chance of getting in: the sooner the better when applying so as soon as you've decided, you'll want to apply right away. As is fair, first dibs go to new folks. I will apply in mid August when applications are open to returning campers if there are still openings left. (There usually are but camp does fill up fast then there is a waiting list). I want to go and I plan to go, but even if it fills up before returning campers like me can apply, I'd be glad for there to be a Her2 Sistah Meetup at Faces of Courage. Perhaps this great spot for a weekend meetup will become an annual event for our members!

Faces of Courage on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PamjMH5Fw9o

Everyone of all races are welcome at women's camp but there is also an additional camp opportunity for Women of Color and Kid's Camp. This is another link on Youtube that has some good footage of camp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXgTz7zG0-M

Map from Tampa International Airport to the Camp:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Tamp...08!2d27.946691
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:39 AM   #2
jra40

Re: Free Faces of Courage Retreat in FL in Sept: Wanna Have a Her2 Meetup?

This sounds wonderful! Thank you for posting Paula - I'm going to check it out!

Jessica
3/15/11 - Began weekly Taxol/Herceptin infusions along with 750mg of Tykerb taken by mouth daily
6/28/11 - Finished last cycle of Taxol
7/27/11 - Breast MRI shows tumor has dissolved, remarkable reaction to chemo
8/31/11 - Lumpectomy, Sentinel Node biopsy. Node negative, clear margins, 7mm of cancer left over from chemo.
10/05/11 - Started radiation, 5 days a week for 7 weeks.
11/8/11 - Finished radiation
3/21/12 - Last Herceptin!
3/26/12 - Port removed!
Tamoxifen for 5 years
8/4/15 - Hysterectomy & bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. Due to large fibroids. No cancer!
8/8/15 - Started Arimidex
jra40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
Paula O

Re: Free Faces of Courage Retreat in FL in Sept: Wanna Have a Her2 Meetup?

Hi Jessica,

I hope you can come! I'd love to meet you.

Have you ever been part of a drum circle? Here's a neat activity at Faces of Courage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpEdHcspp-U

Paula
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote